Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking for some insight...

I am currently TDY at Ft. Leavenworth(I'm glad it is basketball season). My wife went to visit her folks in Delaware. She needed to go pick up some things from the BX at Dover AFB. However, the SP's wouldn't let her on the installation. They told her that dependants were not allowed access without theri sponsor. She did notice that the Threat Level was Bravo, but that has never stopped her from getting on an installation before.

Anybody know what was going on?

Shane
Print the post Back To Top
Shane,

That seems weird to me, but I guess it would be up to the installation commander to make the decision about what the ruling would be. Did the car has a base decal on it? I can't see they banning all dependents without their sponsors because of the ones that work off base and live on base, or work on base and live off base.

Who knows what it could be?
Rob
Maybe they temporarily "lock the base down" for the arrival of remains? There's a number of bodies winging their way homeward now, with the activities in Afghanistan. Dover is the receiving morturary for the east coast....Not sure if her visit happened to coincide with the arrival??

Sir Yoda
*Not Sure*
Maybe they temporarily "lock the base down" for the arrival of remains?

This was my first thought and probably the reason. I can't see it being an all the time thing because how many sponsors are now deployed to parts unknown for an indefinite period? It would be just silly to say "We're sending your spouse off to war and sorry, you can't use the commissary or the hospital while he's gone."

Binkley
This was my first thought and probably the reason. I can't see it being an all the time thing because how many sponsors are now deployed to parts unknown for an indefinite period? It would be just silly to say "We're sending your spouse off to war and sorry, you can't use the commissary or the hospital while he's gone."
Binkley

This would be a very unusual incident of an AF installation not 'taking care' of our family or our sister service family.

I would recommend anyone drop a dime, well, fifty cents now, if the entry controller w/n let the person use the phone and call the command Chief Master Sergeant at the location.
Ask for clarification or consideration due to the ID card, car stickers, traveling, BS policy, inconvenience, hardship, stupidity in barring 'good guys'.

If the reason given were correct, it would mean NO DEPENDENT could leave and return to base without their sponsor. Rediculous!
If the reason given were correct, it would mean NO DEPENDENT could leave and return to base without their sponsor. Rediculous!
-----------------

Well, I'm guessing that if the base was "locked down" for a arrival ceremony (remains), it would likely be for a fairly brief time.....90 minutes to 2 hrs, possibly less. Of course, if that was the case, no one could enter or leave, and the gates back up. Or, as happened here at Peterson, we clamped the base down for 4 hours after a person unknown left an envelope of tear gas (powdered form) outside the commissary. Unfortunately, we haven't caught that guy yet......

Either way, I'm still guessing whatever the reason for restricted entry was locally-driven and was likely for a very brief period (hours?). A Call to the base CCM (Command Chief) or Public Affairs would likely clear it up. Even the Visitor's Center at the Main Gate probably has the answer. But to call guesses "ridiculous" is a bit harsh......

Yoda
No. of Recommendations: 5
Beyond OT:

we clamped the base down for 4 hours after a person unknown left an envelope of tear gas (powdered form) outside the commissary

During lunch each day at Ft. Carson, we would sit down in the back of the battery S&A and play dominoes. One day we sat down and I wiped all this dust off my end of the table. A minute or so later, I had to start wiping my runny nose. Then my eyes started itching like crazy. Started rubbing them, couldn't stop sneezing, then the burning set in on me. So while I'm running my face under the sink and providing mirth and merriment for everyone, here comes the NBC NCO..."Hey, I spilled some CS powder here, what did you guys do with it?"...response from the table "Ask CPL Good, I think he is doing some sort of training with it."

Thus the truth in the statement: It's funny when friends get hurt.

Binkley
. Even the Visitor's Center at the Main Gate probably has the answer. But to call guesses "ridiculous" is a bit harsh......
Yoda

If I remember correctly, she was turned away without a reasonable explanation, which is what I'm calling ridiculous and I should have said check the Visitor's center too first. Thanks Yoda.
Thanks for the insight. I didn't think about the remains, that is a definate possiblity.

My wife can be a tough cookie when things don't pass the common sense test to her, but she didn't push the issue to far with the SP.

I think I'll email Dover to see if I can get an answer.

Thanks.
If I remember correctly, she was turned away without a reasonable explanation, which is what I'm calling ridiculous and I should have said check the Visitor's center too first. Thanks Yoda.
------------------

Uhh, well, yeah! Iffen ya puts it that way! It was likely an SP-augmentee who intepreted some directive wrong, anyway.

Yoda