Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Cap One no longer needs a travel notification - they say it's because of the change to chip cards.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
American Express also doesn't need travel notifications.

Not sure why. When we traveled a couple of years ago and couldn't find "travel notification" on their web site, we called, and they said, "We know when you're traveling. You don't have to tell us."
We figured it was something in their algorithms that recognized in-person charges at airports and then differing but non-simultaneous locations. We'd charged the airline tickets to a different card, so it's not like they knew our plans ahead of time.

My credit union has on their home page an admonition to please notify them of travel plans. Apparently their new security software resulted in ATM cards not being honored without the notification, and they got complaints.
No. of Recommendations: 1
We are in Phoenix this week. A couple of weeks ago, I actually got an email from American Express noting that we had some travel coming up and reminding me to download their mobile app to deal with any issues that might come up.

In our case, they knew about the travel because I used that card to buy the tickets and pay for the rental car. I thought it was good that they knew we'd be gone and would likely have charges. We just used the card this morning to pay for breakfast.