No. of Recommendations: 1
My bias is toward equally-weighted funds rather than other schemes, because I think they better reflect one's trading experience. (If you knew in advance what was going to work best, you could bet the farm on it. Lacking that foreknowledge, the fall-back strategy has to be equally-sized bets, as Linda Raschke argues.)

As an experiment, I pulled the holdings of someone's small-cap growth fund that's currently in an uptrend, pacing the market, dumped them into a spreadsheet, and calcuated two P/Ls for each holding, one based on its actual weighting in the fund; the other as if all holdings were equally-weighted. Trading an equally-weighted basket racked up a whopping (-18.25% loss). But the fund could report a loss of just (-0.39%) due to some of the biggest losers being small positions.

Next, I applied Quill's Smiley Face/ Frowny Face system to the list of holdings, where 12 would be equally-weighted, ongoing 'longs' (based on their most recent signal). 17 would be equally-weighted, ongoing 'shorts' (based on their most recent signal), with one 'aside' (due to obvious 'chop'). The shorts gained 3.27% for the day. The longs lost (-8.63%).

I found the poor performance of the longs surprising and need to re-run the experiment so that the P/L for each holding is measured from date of entry, because my suspicion is the fund is carrying a lot of longs that would be better shorts, and their few, out-sized guesses about longs is what's saving their butt, rather than a disciplined, replicatable, buy-sell strategy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.