Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Capital gains ARE not taxed by the US authority (IRS).

A withholding tax applies to Dividends or Interest that is earnt in the US. Whatever tax is withheld you can claim a credit on that tax when you complete your tax return. There is a special section for income earnt offshore.

Now someone gave advise about CGT is applicable when you bring the money back off shore. This is WRONG.

GST event occurs in Oz when you no longer have a beneficial interest and the capital gains are taxable in the tax year that this occurs! Note that the CGT rate is effectively halved now anyway which is good from an investors perspective.

Happy investing


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.