Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
This is somewhat related to the "oops...estimated taxes?" discussion.

I am a disabled Vietnam Era veteran. My wife died in January of this year. One problem with the home that we purchased in 1977 was its location. It was extremely difficult to arrange transportation and get to VA medical facilities.

Several months after my wife's death a decided to sell the house in Thousand Oaks, CA and move to the Sacramento, CA area. I chose Sacramento due to the accessibility of VA medical facilities and because one of my daughters, one of my sister, and my mother lived there. Plus it gave me a chance to be a Millennial for a while by moving into my mother's house while I looked for a new house.

In 2020, I will file my final joint tax returns. Although my wife died on 15 January, will I be able to claim the $500,000 capital gains exclusion on the sale of our house?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.