Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question involving an IRA rollover I am about to initiate. I am going to rollover 401K funds from a previous employer into a traditional IRA and do what I have been doing with the rest of my investment dollars ... invest in stocks.

My question is this, are the earnings from this newly rolled over IRA subject to capital gains taxes at the end of each year? I thought I read elsewhere on TMF that any earnings are subject only to taxes when you withdraw them after retirement. I am just looking for a verification that this is true.

Please forgive such a basic question. I'm sure this information must have been asked and answered a number of times on this board, but it would take me almost till retirement age to go through and read all these highly polished and thoughtful entries. (How's that for greasing the skids?)

As much as I believe in LTBH investing, I want to make certain that if I wanted to do a shorter term trade now and again that I would not be IRS-fried for doing so.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Scott
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.