Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been all over the internet and am trying to understand the Long Term Capital Gains math. We are retirees, so have very little income. We have sold one rent house for a profit of $53,000. I do not know our income for last year (the taxes are at home and I am on vacation). But, for the sake of discussion, let's say our 2018 income was $40,000. Also, for the sake of discussion, let's leave out the improvements, repairs and depreciation - just to simplify things...

OK. We file jointly. I believe the rules are, if your income (filing jointly) is less than $78,750, you have Zero tax.

So, let's say I add the income number of $40,000 to the capital gains realized of $53,000. I would then get $93,000. Is the 15% capital gains tax on the total of the $93,000? Or the 15% capital gains on the amount OVER the $78,750? Or the amount OVER our normal income of $40,000, Or is the 15% tax now on the whole amount of $93,000? It doesn't seem right that they would tax us on the entire amount of $93K. But of course, who said the IRS is fair, right?

Can someone explain this math to me? Every place I found online, explained all the limits, and the percentage of 15%, but not on which number is the 15% applied. I suspect it will be on our total income for the year, which would be $93,000.... So, our new taxable income is $93,000 x 15%?? Thanks guys. Good thing I don't do this too much.

Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.