Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Roy, I was just about to post this yesterday, when the powers that be flipped the on-off switch on the board. Anyway -- here are my questions --

Roy -- I finally received my 1040 packet and started to review it for this year's taxes. Under the instructions for Sch D, the IRS states that if your capital gain on the sale of your home (with some qualifications) was less than $250k ($500k filing jointly), you don't even have to report the sale. Moreover, Form 2119 is now obsolete.

I am appalled. The IRS will actually trust a taxpayer and not require the filing of some form when a home is sold? Can this be so?

For my own records, I had started to fill out a 2119 when I sold my home last fall. I gathered that *all* improvements may be added into the purchase price (but only once) for the cost basis. Does this include replacing a failed furnace and/or air conditioner? Or a worn-out roof? How about exterior paint? If I can only charge once, may this be the last (& therefore the most expensive) replacement, or must it be the first time replaced? Even though I probably don't need this form, I still feel that I should have the records, just in case of the unthinkable.

Thanx, again, for your thoughts
Geezer
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.