Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am sooooo confused about capitol gains and how to figure net gains for tax purposes. I sold some mutual fund shares (actually I converted them into another fund within the same brokerage) and now I have a 1099-B with the gross proceeds listed. Do I owe capital gains taxes on the sale/conversion of these shares? If so, how do I figure my cost basis since I have had this fund since 1993 and reinvested all dividends and capital gains? Besides, I thought I had already paid taxes each year on the dividends and gains, so do I get taxed again? Just call me Confused in California.....of course that probably applies to the majority of the state!!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.