Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If I understand correctly, a maximum of $3000 of capital losses can be used to offset ordinary income within any one fiscal year, and further losses can be carried over to subsequent years. I have a gain on the sale of real estate for which taxes cannot be deferred to future years. I also have a few bow-wow stocks I'd like to use to offset the tax liability. Does the $3000 limit for losses apply only to stocks, or is that total capital losses? For instance, could one offset a $10,000 capital gain on property with a $10,000 loss on stock? (No, those figures are not real...LOL.)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.