Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Capital Losses are reported on Schedule D not Schedule A so he can take the loss without itemizing and wipe out any Capital Gains first then up to $3000 in other income including wages. The rest is carried over.

You report investment related expenses on Schedule A, such as a saftey deposit box or subscription to financial papers used for financial investing purposes.
He would not be able to claim these without itemizing.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.