Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
For CAPShot I'm interested in the difference between CAPS 1000 vs. the CAPS All-Stars that CAPS uses.

An All-Star is:
CAPS all-stars are the members with the highest overall ratings.

To qualify, you must have an overall member rating of 80 or higher. In other words, you must perform as well or better than 80% of all active members.

Whereas a CAPS 1000 is defined as:
CAPS 1000: Of the top CAPS players who are rating a particular stock, we want at least 80% of them to currently believe that it will “outperform.” In other words, we want a vast majority of the very best CAPS players to believe strongly in a stock.

So it sounds to me like CAPS 1000 is the top 1000 CAPS players, which is a smaller (and more select) subset of the total CAPS players than CAPS All-Stars. Is that correct?

I ask because when checking out the CAPShot for NFLX I noticed that the CAPS 1000 had a significantly lower opinion than general CAPS players or even CAPS All-Stars.

CAPS 1000 for NFLX From http://newsletters.fool.com/37/quotes/NFLX/caps.aspx :
63.11% Outperform

CAPS All-Stars From http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/NFLX.aspx :
84.2% Outperform (1242 out of 1475)

Is the CAPShot CAPS 1000 63.11% correct for NFLX? Is it lower because CAPS 1000 represents a more select group of CAPS players (as I suggest above)?

Thanks for any clarifications here :-).

Regards,
G
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Geowolf,

Sorry it took some time to respond to your post.

CAPS All-Stars are those players who are rated above the 80th percentile of players (about 120,000), so that puts their number at about 24,000.

CAPS 1000, however, is the creme de la creme of this group, if you will. These are the players with the best 1,000 portfolios in CAPS.

Does this help clarify?

Foolish best,

Todd Wenning
PRO analyst
No. of Recommendations: 0
CAPS All-Stars are those players who are rated above the 80th percentile of players (about 120,000), so that puts their number at about 24,000.

CAPS 1000, however, is the creme de la creme of this group, if you will. These are the players with the best 1,000 portfolios in CAPS.

Does this help clarify?

Yep, thanks much.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I keep seeing the number 120,000 as the number of CAPS players, but my "rank" is listed as "n out of 63455". Can someone explain the 57K discrepency?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Wolfersmith,
Players with fewer than 7 active picks are not ranked. There are ~120,000 players with picks in CAPS, but only 63,000 of them have enough active picks to be rated.
Hope that helps,
Chris