Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
If it sounds like bragging, sorry!

Despite the crazy GameStop games of late, The Captain just ignored the volatility. In the long run stock prices are correlated to company performance, short term to market whims. If you ignore the volatility you avoid the whiplash. In January I bought some of the Captain's ARK's positions (before the GameStop games) and adjusted others (took a lot of profits on TSLA). After that I just watched the rollercoaster ride.

January 29 YTD performance

DJIA -2.0%
SPX -1.1%
NASDAQ 1.4%
Saul 2.5% <-- Saul's board
mekong22 5.0% <-- Saul's board
upsidedowntwice 7.9% <-- Saul's board
Captain's ARK 16.1% <-- including option trading

It was so good that I'm taking one third of the January gains off the table and into the reserve fund.

Portfolio distribution on Jan 29

Captain's ARK 74.7% <-- 15 positions
Income 16.2% <-- 1 position for covered calls
Cash 11.3%
Calls -2.2%

The Captain's ARK webapp is coming along nicely. The weekly download (ARK ETFs and Yahoo prices) take under a minute on my laptop and under 15 seconds on my California server. I had some personal business to take care of this week but next week I should have more time to rite code (<- bugs keep creeping in :).

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.