Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
If it sounds like bragging, sorry!

Despite the crazy GameStop games of late, The Captain just ignored the volatility. In the long run stock prices are correlated to company performance, short term to market whims. If you ignore the volatility you avoid the whiplash. In January I bought some of the Captain's ARK's positions (before the GameStop games) and adjusted others (took a lot of profits on TSLA). After that I just watched the rollercoaster ride.

January 29 YTD performance

DJIA -2.0%
SPX -1.1%
NASDAQ 1.4%
Saul 2.5% <-- Saul's board
mekong22 5.0% <-- Saul's board
upsidedowntwice 7.9% <-- Saul's board
Captain's ARK 16.1% <-- including option trading

It was so good that I'm taking one third of the January gains off the table and into the reserve fund.

Portfolio distribution on Jan 29

Captain's ARK 74.7% <-- 15 positions
Income 16.2% <-- 1 position for covered calls
Cash 11.3%
Calls -2.2%

The Captain's ARK webapp is coming along nicely. The weekly download (ARK ETFs and Yahoo prices) take under a minute on my laptop and under 15 seconds on my California server. I had some personal business to take care of this week but next week I should have more time to rite code (<- bugs keep creeping in :).

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Are your ARK positions the same right now as the list you posted in the Beating Cathie Wood Day 1 thread? I really liked reading about your covered call strategy but this new approach has me even more intrigued.

I think for once in the few years I've been lurking on the Fool I had a month where I outperformed most posters. Currently up 18% YTD. About half my positions are "Saul stocks" and the rest are ideas I picked up from other boards or Beth's service. Getting in early before the GME train took off definitely helped juice my gains (although unfortunately it was only a small <2% position).
No. of Recommendations: 3
Are your ARK positions the same right now as the list you posted in the Beating Cathie Wood Day 1 thread?

Yes, the last trade was Jan 19 (day zero). The GameStop game was no game stopper for the Captain's ARK.

I really liked reading about your covered call strategy but this new approach has me even more intrigued.

I use both. 75% of the port is Captain's ARK and 15% income from covered call. You have to keep them separate if you want both to perform well. The percentages vary over time. I like to have most in growth and just enough in income to cover my ordinary expenditures.

Let's see how long I can run the Captain's ARK without making any trades. Initially I figured maybe trade once a quarter. Philip Fisher, author of Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits, used to say that one had to give one's stocks a chance to prove themselves.

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 0
I changed ship and jumped on Captain's ARK a few days later. prices were real high already and i could see they were climbing as i was watching from sidelines. So i caved in and jumped on.

AND

GME happened the day after conversion. my port just had a day in green and then some of the stocks dropped 20 or so percent. So, my portfolio is awfully red and red is not my favorite colour but i am not worried. This time will pass too and my portfolio sees green days again.

Meanwhile i am keeping my attention away from the market and into crypto world.

Captain, the position you have for covered call, is it still FSLY?

Hoping all is well in your port Captain and looking forward to hear more about THE MACHINE! 😊

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 4
Captain, the position you have for covered call, is it still FSLY?

Yes!

Hoping all is well in your port Captain and looking forward to hear more about THE MACHINE! 😊

Portfolio thanks you for your concern and reports that all's "shipshape and Bristol fashion."

Sometimes when you write code you run into a blind alley and that happened to me with the login code for THE MACHINE. It's amazing how easy it is for bugs to creep in and lay dormant for years. Just last night I squished on such little buggy! The bug? Single quotes where double quotes were needed!

The white list and the data download are done. Now working on user registry and login.

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/user-registry.png

Denny Schlesinger

shipshape and Bristol fashion
https://wordhistories.net/2017/10/18/shipshape-bristol-fashi...
I also dip my toes in The Machine. Only 15% of my overall investment. I'm down about about 5% since I started on Jan. 20th. I also get email notifications from Arks investment on their daily trade. I notice they have been selling PACB. Not sure if she plans to fully close out the position or just reducing. Any thoughts?

Lily
No. of Recommendations: 3
I also dip my toes in The Machine.

Welcome! Bien venue! Willkommen!

I'm down about about 5% since I started on Jan. 20th.

The 19th as a big up day, up 3.8%.

I notice they have been selling PACB. Not sure if she plans to fully close out the position or just reducing. Any thoughts?

When ARK sells, the stock goes down but that does not mean they changed their mind. They rebalance quite often. It's good to have a look at the stock's track record...

PACB six months: https://softwaretimes.com/pics/pacb-01-31-2021.gif

From $5 to $35 in six months is a good reason for ARK to rebalance. That looks like a very healthy chart.

Denny Schlesinger
Hello Captain

got here after reading your post on the Mongoose board.

Two questions

1. Is there a board or a post where you share your covered call portfolio?

2. I tried to read the previous two weeks of posts but could not find the start of Beating Cathie's portfolio picks. Can you please direct me to that thread?

Thanks

-Gaurav
No. of Recommendations: 5
1. Is there a board or a post where you share your covered call portfolio?

Gaurav, you're there already! ;)

2. I tried to read the previous two weeks of posts but could not find the start of Beating Cathie's portfolio picks. Can you please direct me to that thread?

You can search the board with Google. For covered calls use the string:

site:fool.com "New Paradigm Investing" covered calls

For ARK invest replace "covered calls" with "Cathie Wood" or "ARK Invest" or "Beating Cathie's portfolio"

Another way to read my posts,

- From anyone of my posts click the "New Paradigm Investing" link
- Click the "Author" link. This will sort the posts by Author
- Click on my post which should top the list
- Now the "Previous" and "Next" links will take you only to my posts util you reach the end of them. Then the "Previous" and "Next" links will revert to normal

- Or after clicking the "Author" link, click the "Prev" link and you'll see only my posts. It's a good way to read the subject lines.

Denny Schlesinger
I would love to see the name on web app to be Captain's ARK as well, more suiting than Hello Cathy, my opinion of course.

Shipshape and Bristol fashion! haha now i know! Interesting read! :)
No. of Recommendations: 2
How about...

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/captains-ark.png

Getting there!

The Captain
With 36% of my money in the 5 ARK funds I'm keenly interested in this. :) Will be watching for when it is final and available. Thanks!

I don't do php but I do Python. Ping me if necessary.
Looks AWESOME!!!!! LOVE IT!
No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't do php but I do Python. Ping me if necessary.

I tried Python but Apple hardware makes it difficult because it has installed native v 2.x and I was trying to use v 3 and it drove me nuts so I gave up. PHP will do all I need. Early on I could not find good math libraries in php. I found some in Perl which I had trouble installing. In time I found the phpEXCEL library which solved my math problems!

Sorry, Python is number 2! 😇

Top 7 Web Development Languages To Use In 2021
https://www.designveloper.com/blog/web-development-languages...

Denny Schlesinger

Programming languages are like shoes, the longer you use them the more comfy they get. I've been using php for over 20 years and have developed a couple of frameworks, the latest one Object Oriented and "semantic" to match HTML5. The article points out that php can be difficult. You need a top class text editor and BBEdit is tops. With BBEdit I've developed a bunch of debugging tools and since php is an interpreted language it's easy to test small bits of code at a time which fits my short attention span. I must spend well over half my coding time debugging. However, being a fan of Sherlock Holmes I love following clues to find the culprit! Holmes must the the world's best debugger!