Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
captainjgc: "so, reading Dan Caplinger's article ( touting converting to roth while markets are down got me thinking about converting my trad ira again. specifically because i'd rather add the current battered balance to my agi than when it eventually goes back up.

however, i talked to my accountant today and she told me, if my balance is less than my original contributions (pretty sure it is - i'm 32 and have only been contributing for 4 or 5 years) i would have to add the original amount of my contributions to my agi, not the current balanc - since that's the original sheltered amount. can this be true? seems really crazy!"

I have never heard of such a thing, but I am no expert.

This is more of a tax question, and I suspect that you would get a better response if you re-post on that board; it is where all the real tax pros hang (though several of them also frequent other boards).

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.