Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

While my cc's are in repayment and I'm strolling merrily along through the snowball fields, could you please help me with a decision I'm trying to make?

DH and I got into a DUMB car lease almost two years ago. Way too much money for way too little car. And then, DH drove it to New York (from Indiana), all around New York for a couple months, and back from New York, putting the mileage WAY too high. We have the lease for 36 months, 36K miles. We are at month 21. We have 36,038 miles. AUGH.

If we finish out the lease, we will have to pay somewhere around $8,000 just to get rid of the thing and pay off our mileage problems.

BUT...I was driving around and saw a billboard advertising getting out of leases early from our dealer. So, I called. They said we could get out now...we'd just have to make a total payment of around $3,300 (15 remaining months' payments) plus whatever we're over on the mileage. Since right now we're only over about 40 miles, we will pay around $10 for the mileage ($0.20 per mile over).

Of course, dh will need transportation eventually (don't even ask about public transport in our pathetic city) -- we can make do for at most a couple of months, while trying to come up with a downpayment.

But this will help my credit a lot, as the lease is in both our names, and getting out will free me quite a bit (my own car is wavering...I will need another in maybe six months). Plus, dh has some VERY generous family members overseas who might help if we get desperate.

What do you think? and thanks in advance for your ALWAYS helpful input.

-Lessob
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.