Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Can you share your techniques for credit card safety while travelling abroad?

Recently my card number was stolen while in Turkey, as it turned out by the desk check clerk, who asked for my 3 digit number which I was too tired and stupid to withhold. Fortunately we had two other adults with cards as we had planned to charge our larger expenses. I was without my card until returning home.

We ran into this because we carry and use only one card. While we have other cards, they are not used regularly for charging. What safety or credit card back ups do people use while travelling?

P.S.: our credit card numbers have been stolen everywhere, even a few miles from home. Our card issuer is very alert and declines the stolen card very quickly.

Thanks for any tips,
A. Simpatico
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
We ran into this because we carry and use only one card. While we have other cards, they are not used regularly for charging. What safety or credit card back ups do people use while travelling?

If you are part of a couple, each of you should have a different card.

I am single, carry several credit cards(particularly those with no international transaction fee) and a couple of debit* cards. I haven't done it lately but usually make copies of the fronts and back and throw it in my dropbox along with a copy of my passport. I travel more than 40% of the time and expect that to grow.

*Fave is from Schwab checking account - they rebate all fees.
No. of Recommendations: 5

I have 6 different cards that are used regularly. I take 3 or 4 of them with me when I travel, so I have back ups in case some are compromised. In rooms that have a safe (many do now), I generally leave 2 in the safe when going out of the room. If there isn't a safe, I will carry my cards with me, but in multiple places.

AJ
<<Can you share your techniques for credit card safety while travelling abroad?>>

I stay home.

I can still have an issue now and then, but it's rare.

Seattle Pioneer
I feel your pain, having had a card “stopped” while in Canada - the bank decided that the cashpoint I attempted to use was “dodgy”. That took a couple of international calls to sort out and I had to go to a specific bank branch, with which mine had an arrangement, to take out cash.

I normally travel with two credit cards and a debit card. My “go to” credit card for travel is one that doesn’t levy additional fees for foreign currency transactions. The other credit card is there for back-up (and is the one I use at home, since it pays benefits). The debit card is there because it’s always in my wallet. All three cards are also set up on my phone, if I want to use ApplePay. I also have the banks’ apps on the phone, so if there are problems, I can call them directly.

My husband has his own cards so, if one of us has issues, we use the other’s.

- Pam
No. of Recommendations: 4
What safety or credit card back ups do people use while travelling?

similar to the other responses -
I travel with more than one card (no fee cards if traveling abroad) and have images of the front & back of those cards stored electronically, so if I need to call for customer service, I have all the info for that card immediately available.
My (work related) travel is down to @14 trips a year. Still enough to not want to be stuck without a payment method.

P.S.: our credit card numbers have been stolen everywhere, even a few miles from home.
How?

I used to travel all.the.time (40+ times a year) and have never had a CC number stolen.
I use all methods of internet payments.
Only once have I had a debit card skimmed.
Once.
At a gas station about an hour from home.
Mr(then)15 told me the reader looked dodgy, but I had already chosen debit as the payment option.
I wasn't even very surprised the next day when I got the alert of suspicious activity.
Have never paid for gas with a debit card again either.

peace & protection
t
While we have other cards, they are not used regularly for charging

Some activity is needed to keep the cards from being closed by the issuer. A reoccurring small bill is a good choice.
I feel your pain, having had a card “stopped” while in Canada - the bank decided that the cashpoint I attempted to use was “dodgy”. That took a couple of international calls to sort out and I had to go to a specific bank branch, with which mine had an arrangement, to take out cash.

My husband was in Canada with his son. I had placed a travel notice on our credit card and they still suspended it. Fortunately, they texted me and I was able to reactivate the card before he retried the transaction. Being out of country, he didn't have cell phone service except when on wifi at the hotel.