Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
For years I thought of V and MA as "safe growth stocks" that traded at high premiums yet were pretty certain to continue growing in the years ahead. However there are now some flies in the ointment.

You can use Apple Pay on your cell phone instead of pulling out a credit card. No big deal. It still goes on the MasterCard network and I'm sure it's just pulling money from one of your banks.

However, Paypal is a little different. Ever since Paypal has disbanded from eBay, they already signed up with etsy as a payment processor. I expect them to grow in the years ahead and seem to be hearing more and more from them as a payment method option both online and in person (I was at Auto Zone a few days ago, and Paypal was available on their card reader). Second of all if you use your bank or card as a source of supply, it still goes through the card network such as MasterCard or Visa, however, if you have money in your Paypal account, and they are working to grow this number, it does not go against the card network, and Paypal retains all transaction fees, and V or MA get none.

Not a huge immediate threat, but proof the world is changing and one has to keep on top of all this stuff.

Does anyone have any favorites in this space?

This is a different topic altogether from NFC chips or what technology is used to communicate with the card reader/cell phone, and a change to how the transaction is handled once it's already in the card reader can be quite disruptive.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.