Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Never would I have thought that I would be eluding to the tune from 'Kansas' in a blog, but there you go...I thought it fitting for today, my first post, I guess...

And, did you know this song was also covered by the 'Foo Fighters'?, neither did I ;-)

Or perhaps you did, and would love to tell me about it? By all means, always feel free to comment!

I've been dreaming up what I might blog about, probably a lot of musings on companies that I have in my CAPS scorecard (for better or worse), and general business interest / pontificating.

Thoughts of today revolve around advertising campaigns, and if / how successful ones can make for a huge difference in sales.

These past two weeks the ad campaign that has me totally smitten is that of Volvo's.

I think it's great...maybe it also says I'm coming of a certain age and biological-clockness?

errr, ummm, let's hope not ;-)

But I feel with this recent campaign of theirs, they have really honed in sharply on their market, and are taking what people know the brand to be, and working the heck out of it.

-- Parents

-- Kids (+family)

-- Safety

...then it's all summed up in the gift giving season of "who would you give a Volvo to?"

For the holidays now too, they have one ad with little tikes singing holiday carol tunes, but getting the words all jumbled. (awwwe)..

This rings home to me for sure...taking me back, my little sister, who probably eternally smarter than I am, always corrected my lyrics when we were young. Thankfully I could sing fairly well, so it was a good compromise when she wanted to hear the little Mermaid before going to sleep, etc.

So...that brings me today to checking out Volvo. And lookie there, Volvo as a car manufacturer is actually owned by Ford Motor Company (Ticker: F).

For the learning experience, and since Ford has been beaten down so much and going through a lot of restructuring, I've decided to hop on this horse to ride past the New Year to see where it takes me.

Does anyone know what historicals look like for purchases in this industry over the holiday season?

Do they actually happen?

Looking at some industry news, and with the market & environmental concerns, it's somewhat perceivable that car sales may be on the decline overall...

Fear the car industry shall we? or are there any gains to be had / smart positions we can take?

I sure don't really know, so you may not want to follow me there, but in the game of CAPs...I'm not afraid to get on in!

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.