Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We met w/ a fee-only financial planner for the first time earlier this year, and had her prepare a comprehensive plan for us a few months back. It wasn't inexpensive, and I was hoping it would give us more peace of mind than it actually did, but we're still glad we went. I keep thinking about how by NOT spending money on the plan we would've had more to invest, but I think it will be worth it over the long term.

Many of our funds were fine as they were, but she recommended some changes both to current funds and to future contributions. We were supposed to have reallocated within a month of getting our plan, but a stressful period came up so it was really more like two. Tonight we sat down to take care of things, and it felt good to get it done. It was much easier than we anticipated to transfer from fund to fund; less than half an hour from start to finish.

Our advisor had given us a questionnaire to assess our comfort level with risk. Based on the outcome, she recommended more than we wanted to put in bonds. We reduced that amount, but did most other things she suggested. There are a few other things to follow up on, but we're pretty much set for the time being. I feel like all we can do now is keep on keeping on... but I want to do MORE to get us there.

Next up: keep monitoring spending, and set up automatic after-tax savings. (We'd been savhing in chunks, but it will help to do it on a more regular basis.)

--AF, FIRE desirer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.