Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Case-

At two years from retirement what matters now is SIZE! Size of the portfolio compared to the size of withdrawal you will need.

For the exposure based on cap -IJH and IJR are Index ETF's and typically style/sector index funds are more true to their nature. Depending on the specific index there is usually only small variance in the index ETF's

Again - using Morningstars X-ray tool

IVV and SPY and the like usually come out about the same

Value Core Growth
30 30 30 Large 90%
5 4 3 Mid 10%
0 0 0 Small 0%

Because they are focused on the top 500 a very well defined group

IJR is focues in the small caps - not as clearly defined - down to $10MM or down to $5

Value Core Growth
0 0 0 Large 0%
1 2 3 Mid 6%
27 33 34 Small 94%

IJH is focused in the mid caps but spills into the smalls alittle

Value Core Growth
0 0 0 Large 0%
19 27 31 Mid 77%
9 8 6 Small 23%

But when you get into the funds - assuming the Low Price is FLPSX you can see the lines between small and mid are blurred.

Value Core Growth
6 7 4 Large 17%
18 16 11 Mid 45%
20 13 5 Small 38%

And another item of note for the Fidelity is that 35% of the holdings are foreign. The indices -based on US exchanges are primarily US stocks. So you get some global exposure there with the fund - Along with the IVV and the like you also have large multinational so while the percent is listed as US - again some exposure to the globe.

So- putting those together Morninstar says you are really

large cap, 39.6% vs 35%

mid-cap, 13.8% vs 10%

small cap, 7.2% vs 5%

foreign, 17% (with about 10% in Asia/Australia - leaving ~7% in perhaps emerging markets vs 10%

So - your portfolio seems to be pretty much on target for where you wanted to be!

Good, Bad, or Indifferent -
Those are your expectations to have.

I have some personal bias toward small caps - just seems like more room to grow and some research puts that group with a slightly higher return over the long haul. But I also note that large have not quite had the return coming out of the recent events. Is that because they were overvalued compared to the mid and small before or are they undervalued now? Current S&P 500 Price to Earning is around 24. Historical Mean is around 16 and change. IS that because earnings are still a little low coming out of the not so great depression. This gets broken down for me into sector price to earnings - right, utilities are not going to have the same P/E type ratios as Technology - -Financials etc. I think some are clearly over priced some are under priced. But for your portfolio - I think it is great that you are as close to where you wanted to be as you are. Many times - folks are not or they are challenged in other diversification issues. So - I might ask you if you have thought of commodities/metals or is that part of the 40% you don't list? And - you have some individual stocks as well. IF you are doing pretty good with those and have the time to play this game, consider doing some more. IF not - stick with the index ETF's and enjoy retirement.

d(P/E)/dT
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.