Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Cash is the cure!

I went to the store yesterday to buy some clothes. I brought only what I intended to spend (per my YNAB budget) in cash -

I have to say that having a set amount of cash in my pocket did get me to limit my spending. If I had a credit card (and no budget) I would have purchased based on how much I liked the item and if it was a "good deal" - The cash forced me to make choices - as a result I prioritized my purchases based on "need" and budget - as a result i bought things i am sure i would wear and wound up buying only 1 shirt among the 3 that i picked out..

at the checkout the girl asked "credit?" as if it was a foregone conclusion.. "nope.. cash!"

I set up cash accounts in my resister for YNAB for groceries, clothes, and household - they will represent the physical envelopes of cash - as i withdraw money from the bank and put it in the envelope, i will record that as a 'transfer' in my register - as i spend the money i will record the expense per the budget category - i will maintain a "spending money" category in my budget for non-itemized expenditures ("fun money")

I will still use credit as needed (automated bills, online, etc) but intend on going with cash here on out..

Was thinking about it and I really dont like having $1,000 or so being owed to the credit card company - even if i pay it in full.. I think it reinforces the credit mentality

However, I agree with PSU 100% - cash is not a quick fix and it all comes back to your beliefs about money - but i think the cash seems to reinforce the good beliefs - ie, if you dont have the money to pay for it dont buy it! - i guess time will tell..

PS - Thinking back to last year i had a big impulse buy where i spend $2k on a new wardrobe - if i had forced myself to leave the store, go to a bank, withdraw $2,000 - and pay that to the cashier i sincerely doubt i would have gone through with it.. rather i was thinking about what a "good deal" i was getting and thinking about the points i was racking up on my card!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.