Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cass

Actually I am thinking that it may well be more profitable all round
to invest o'seas altogether and skip the Aus market.

I think thats a case of "the grass is greener" - having invested in the the US,NZ and Oz market my view is that the there are just as many opportunities in the Oz market as anywhere else.

I have never explored the possibility of investing o'seas (UK or US)
but I would be very interested in what you think and your experiences
with this.

The first thing about the US market is that it is BIG !! - there are thousands and thousands of companies. There is a lot of manipulation by the MM's - the market is amazingly volatile with literally millions of shares trading on the bigger companies each day. Take a look at some of the companies on TMF and see the volume on say Nokia or Micrsoft - blows your mind !!
However, there are some really excellent tools to help you sort the wheat from the chaff. Excellent boards to assist you and heaps of really good companies out there. One of the things that surprised me was the huge cost of some shares - even today you can pay $60 to $100 per share no trouble at all - in US dollars too remember !! There will be tax implications for you - I'm not sure what they will be for an Oz resident but foreigners investing in the US are capital gains tax exempt. As a Kiwi I don't pay CGT in either the US or Oz markets. Things may change when I move to Oz but I have a query in with the Oz Inland Revenue which should clarify things for me.
I can't (and would not wish to) advise you on whether to put some money into the US. The market is still in a state of flux - and its all very uncertain. I still have some US bios but am getting out of those to invest in the Oz market. It's very hard to predict where the US market is going in the short term and for that reason I will stay on the sidelines. When the US economy really shows signs of moving then that is the time to get back into it.

However, don't let me put you off. The US market is quite exciting for a small investor and you can do very well.
Why not open an account with, say, Datek and send a telegraph a small amount over to try your hand. You can download the forms from their site Datek.com and don't forget to fill in a form called (from memory) W-Ben8 which exempts you from CGT.
JMO
Regards
Harmy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.