Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cassandra-

Appreciate you giving some examples of your diet. I'm saving them!

1:> If i'm losing weight -- even a small amount, like a pound a week, my glucose numbers improve significantly. Typical range while losing weight has been 80-100 [on 500 mg glucophage]. One evening pig-out will pop the AM reading to over 120.

Now, see, your responding so well like that, tells me that you'd almost certainly be able to back off the amount of glucophage over time; all the while watching your numbers, of course. (Remember, all oral meds have possible side effects, though they differ. For example, the amaryl/glimepiride I've now been off for 15 months, clearly stresses the pancreas over the long-term; as well as increase insulin resistance (the latter is my personal opinion; doesn't agree with the company's); and tends to increase weight (like most, but not all, diabetes type II meds).

Glucophage, if I'm not mistaken, has a potential liver concern. I think most docs would agree that management by strict diet and exercise alone is clearly 'healthier' than some diet, some exercise, some pigout, daily oral meds. And that if still taking oral meds, tightening up on the diet/exercise at least can help most people reduce the dosage. I honestl believe (guess) that you're a candidate for both.

B:> i am able to lose weight on a wack-o diet of 6 small meals a day, with vast quantities of fiber and gallons of nutrasweet-water.

Kiddo, that's NOT a 'wacko' diet; that's intelligent for usn's; and I should be more like you in that regard, clearly. type IIs have less ability to respond to food intake; therefore, smaller amounts of good food, spread over more times, is better, less stressful to our (broken) system, and healthier overall. My hat's off to you.
Kudos on the gallons of water. It took my doctor banging on me for months; but I finally have incorporated a few liters/day of real water into my daily diet. Doesn't even hurt anymore!!!

"Push up the weights...roll back the years"..

Something for me to think about! Even if i don't have the $$$ for the weight room, maybe i need to find it -- or at least learn to love the push-up. Trouble is, that river in Egypt is incredibly ubiquitous.

I got that phrase from an article on fitness for women that I had given my wife, by the way; she's 51, has MS, thinks walking and stationary bike riding is 100% all she needs. That article made clear that the relative importance of resistance training increasesas we age, not decreases.
In fact, this was emphasized by the lead Doctor of the series of Clinics of which my weight loss program is a part of. He spoke to us one evening; probably the biggest expert on exact, up to date info on obesity, diabetes, metabolism, and weight loss that I have ever personally listened to. He brought up, in the exercise portion of his talk, was that he has to work on Type II women harder than he does on men to get resistance training in. He says the women tend to think aerobics is the 'main' exercise they should get; and men pretty much know they need a mixture. But he said the reality is that most obese type II women need to get at least three days of some sort of resistance exercise in--each week, every week; and the men have to get at least 3-4 days of aerobics, each week, every week; to make sure each gets what they tend to ignore because of gender proclivities. So the 'push up the weights, roll back the years' especially for women, has now been emphasized to me recently by two different experts. My wife is resisting it...about the only resistance exercise she's getting right now....her resistance is merely the third confirmation I need of its importance.

YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

jp

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.