Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had about $20,000 in household goods and professional equipment stolen from a rental storage unit back in 1997. My father put the stuff in there and didn't have it insured. Neither his insurance nor mine would cover any losses. To get to the point, I didn't know that I could claim this theft on my taxes last year. So the question is...can I claim this theft for the 1998 tax year? Since I'm on the subject, I had an investment loss of $9000.00 in 1995 and I'm just becoming aware now that I could have claimed that on my taxes as well. Obviously, I should have been more educated about taxes back then. Can I claim this loss for 1998 or back date this some how? Thanks for the help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.