No. of Recommendations: 0
Caution. Your ability to claim a tax deduction on a traditional IRA may be prohibited if you are covered by a 401k or any qualified pension plan.

Your IRA contribution becomes non-deductible beyond certain income limits. That income limit is reduced when you participate in a qualified plan. The contribution is still allowed above the limit, but it is no longer deductible.

But if your IRA contribution becomes non-deductible due to income, consider a Roth IRA instead. Roth contributions are not deductible, but the distributions are not taxed in retirement. Hence, Roth is preferred in some cases. But not Roth has an income CAP that prevents contributions above certain limits.

For complete information, the IRS has excellent publications on this subject. IRS Pub 17 is a general overview, called "Your Income Tax." Or IRS Pub 590 is specific to IRAs and Roths. Both are available free from the website.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.