No. of Recommendations: 2
cbj and St Patrick have said they support the obscene agricultural subsidies that Reagan tried to end. They must think Reagan was an idiot.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I never voted for Reagan. I did vote for Clinton twice, whee did he come down on farmers?
Clinton got something through call the Freedonm to Farm Act.

See what a nice Randian sound that has. Farmers liked the idea of goverment buying their surplus production to stabalize marets and guarantee them they couldn't lose on their investments. They didn't like the fact that guarantee came with restrictions on what and how much you can plant. They wanted to plant everything they could with the guarantee they could sell at the higher of subsidy or market.

Freedom to Farm said we'll do that for six more years than all the subsidies stop. Keep in mind we're only talking direct cash subsidies.

As we all know zero day came in under the Bush Administration. The subsidies were voted in and Bush signed the bill.
Like I said, the farmers should have gone out of business if they were not successful. Put in strip malls and Applebees. Just pave over the farmland and we won't have to subsidize any more.
Like I said, the farmers should have gone out of business if they were not successful. Put in strip malls and Applebees. Just pave over the farmland and we won't have to subsidize any more.

That is happening anyway.
It should have happened in the eighties, so the US would not have any farmland now.

the farmers should have gone out of business if they were not successful. Put in strip malls and Applebees. Just pave over the farmland and we won't have to subsidize any more.

The Solution isn't black & white
What do you mean? That there is a legitimate need to keep the agriculture industry stable ...a need almost more important than national security?