Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
CBL suspends dividend to pay settlement...

Thanks for the info.

Per their 2018 1099-DIV, CBL paid about $137.813MM to common shareholders, so two quarters of dividends at this rate would be about $68.91MM, which I'm assuming they'll combine with about $19.2MM out of C&CE (which at the end of 2018 they had $57.5MM) to get the $88.1MM needed for the settlement.

Interestingly, for 2018, 82.36% of the common dividend was ordinary income and 100% of the preferred D and E dividends were ordinary income, meaning, if I've done the math right, $159.042MM of all dividends was ordinary income for 2018. Just to rough this out....assuming this represents 100% of their REIT Taxable Income, and assuming this amount of taxable income remains the same for 2019 (yes, big assumption) and assuming the estimated $88.1MM settlement is deductible from REIT taxable income, then CBL would have to distribute as dividends for 2019 a minimum of ($159.042 - 88.1) X .9 = $63.85MM. So hopefully, the $44.892MM dividends to the D&E preferreds will be safe.

Depending on their continuing operations, debt maturity schedule and the like, the D and E preferreds, at today's closing prices of $9.34 and $8.78, providing current yields of 19.7% and 18.9%, may be worth a look for those with suitable risk tolerance. I mean, 100 shares of the D preferred = $934, and with an annual dividend of $184.37, you'd break even in about 5 years :-)

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.