Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello All,

I'm new to fool and desire advice on the best way to pay off my CC debt.
I have approx $20k in CC debt. One of the cards has approx $15k on it and the minimum payments have become overwhelming.

Current situation:
- unemployed (no unemployment benefits)
- minuscule savings and checking account
- hopefully will have new job early/mid January
- age 30

I haven't missed a CC payment in 2+ years. (only time its happened was due to no auto-pay).

Possible Solutions:

1) 401k Withdraw- Withdraw from old 401k account(approx $10k in it) and face the penalties? Should have somewhere around $6k after tax and withdrawl fee. Any advice on how to minimize tax/penalty damage if I withdraw in 2016 vs. 2017? I should be in lowest tax bracket for 2016.
(Could use $4-5k of the withdraw to take a chunk of CC debt out and have the rest for bills/living expenses?)
(I also have rollover IRA with approx $1k in it)
(Other retirement type investments I have are rental properties that I will not touch, and will be counting on to snowball for retirement income)
I figure that I could use $4-5k to help lower CC payments/interest, improve credit score over time and apply for new CC's with low interest balance transfer deals or a personal loan with equivalent or favorable interest rate.

2) Debt Relief Program- Spoke with a couple companies and they've approximated monthly payments which are lower than what I'm paying now between 2 CC's. (I'm hesitant to do these because I know my credit score which will take a major hit due to the CC accounts being cancelled and requirement by debt relief company to miss payments in order to renegotiate payments/rates). My credit score is approx (640-690) depending on the rating agency.

3) Miss some CC payments- In order to "get by" for now, I could just miss some payments or pay less than minimum. My credit score will take a hit, but it is the only option I have.

4) Try to negotiate debt relief myself- I wouldn't know where to start on this. Any chance the institutions will allow lower than minimum payments without penalty for my temporary hardship? From what I've read, you typically need to miss a handful of payments before they will even consider your case.

5) Bankruptcy- ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NOT HAPPENING!

Any and all advice and guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
JLCD
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.