No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all! I've been working with CCCS for about a year, and my experience with them hasn't been bad, yet I'm also loathe to continue with them for a few reasons...one, you must pay by money order or chashiers check...which involves a trip to the bank once a month. This is very difficult considering my work schedule. Secondly, I need to drive 30 miles one way to deliver the check to the nearest office (I'm not brave enough to put a money order or cashiers check in the mail). Thirdly, in the year I've been with them, they have messed up my account several times in several ways...not major stuff, but enough to bump up what I owe to the CC companies...I'm $1000 over the amount I'm supposed to be at by now. Lastly, the payment I'm making to them is so high that I have barely enough money left to buy food after all of my bills are paid. I can wear old clothes, but I am terrified that my car will break down or something else will happen in the next 4 years. Does anyone have any suggestions (besides get a second job...my primary one keeps me going at all hours)? Oh, by the way, I haven't met with a coundelor since I joined...they seem to be overstaffed or something. I had understood we would be meeting periodically. I'm kind of at a loss, and bankruptcy sounds awful.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I would make the appointment with the counselor and have them update you on the accounts the next chance you get. If there are some problems, make sure they address them i.e. deposit amount. If the money order thing is inconvenient, ask if they they have auto deduct available. I am sure you will get some suggestions on what you can do on your own for others here - sit down and take a look at where you are at right now. You probably did that with the counselor when you started their program. Take a look at what money is coming in right now vs. what "has" to go out each month. You can do this before you go in to review your situation with the counselor. Ask yourself what things can you change. If any of us want to make a change in our finances, we have 2 basic choices....increase income or decrease expenses. Can you do either or both? Cutting back on expenses or increasing income does not have to be permanent - just until the situation is corrected. I think alot of us tend to make budgeting and credit too complicated so we get caught.

Does it take a little work?....YES! If you can increase your payment amounts by increasing income or cutting back on expenses - you will be surprised how much faster you can pay off a creditor(s). I have seen previous posts refer to them as payment reduction plan, I just read an article that called them "power payments". You can do that through the CCCS payment to help get the accounts paid off faster. I think everyone who has had the problem (and there are alot of us) when the bills are paid off, the stress level drops and then you can focus on "paying yourself" and not the others.

Good luck!

Rod
No. of Recommendations: 0
Definately try to get to see the counselor. They made a plan that's purpose was to pay off your debt as quickly as possible. There is a high likely hood that you can cut back on your payment (with CCCS letting your creditors know) and still be on track. The negative is that it will take much longer to achieve your debt free goal then, but if you need the money you need the money.

Another possibility would be getting a PT job for a "short" time or doing some OT. Do this with the express purpose of making yourself an emergency fund and it shouldn't kill your spirits to much. You will have a goal and know that it will only take a short time to achieve it. If you can find the job just working on weekends for 8 hours a day for one month for $6 puts close to $400 in the bank for you.