Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds like a good time to get on a large cruise ship with 5-6 thousand of your closest friends? }};-@

Tim

Jan. 14, 2018 12:03 PM ET|By: Yoel Minkoff, SA News Editor

The entire continental U.S. is experiencing widespread flu right now, the first time in the 13 years of the current tracking system that that has happened, according to the CDC.

The rate of flu hospitalizations nearly doubled last week to 22.7 per 100,000 people compared with the previous seven days.

Federal authorities also disclosed that 20 children have died from the virus and 7% of senior deaths last month were to blame on this year's virulent strain.

From another article on the subject: “Someday, of course, we hope to have a universal flu vaccine, one that attacks all influenza type viruses and provides protection that lasts for years,” Dr. Fitzgerald said. “But until that day arrives, we will continue to improve the vaccines that we have and find ways and tools to help Americans reduce their risk of getting sick.”
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Federal authorities also disclosed that 20 children have died from the virus and 7% of senior deaths last month were to blame on this year's virulent strain.

I stupidly failed to get either a flu shot or the pneumonia vaccine last Fall when my pulmonologist suggested.

While we're in the midst of a wicked cold snap and widespread flu outbreaks, I'm doing everything I can to avoid people and crowds.

Fingers crossed.
Sounds like a good time to get on a large cruise ship with 5-6 thousand of your closest friends? }};-@

Oh sure. Everyone loves a plague ship.

The rate of flu hospitalizations nearly doubled last week to 22.7 per 100,000 people compared with the previous seven days.

Funny how the media always does it's best to sow hysteria about every year's flu season.

Steve
I grew a beard and wear a mad bomber hat and talk to myself.

Seems to be working, no flue so far.

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 2
Funny how the media always does it's best to sow hysteria about every year's flu season.

Steve

Yeah, clearly silly, I mean the flu back in 1918 only killed 50 to 100 million people globally including 550,000 Americans? Can't imagine what the excitement is about?

While the Spanish got the blame the thing probably started in a US army camp in Kansas and of course got spread by soldiers heading out for various points including on troopships heading for France.

I saw an excellent documentary recently under a series call "the American Experience" done I think by Smithsonian called "Influenze 1918". At one point the people in charge actually thought it might be the end for the human race. For some reason Philly was really hard hit. Average lifespan for Americans dropped 12 years.

Clearly just hysteria? }};-@

Tim

Oh, found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf_klayRf4w
No. of Recommendations: 2
They predicted the wrong strain this year from SE Asia and the vaccine only provided immunity about 10% of the time. I got the vaccine and was only laid up for about 36 hours and not that bad. I consider myself lucky.

Simon

Maybe make a series of books about it? :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y3XF4A
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Maybe make a series of books about it? :)

You got the rec because when I clicked on the link it says I can read it with the free kindle app, apparently one of the benefits of being Prime?

Tim <doesn't feel very Prime>
I wonder what a cannibal grabs first to eat? An earlobe...should be tender, no bone, I guess they would go for the fleshier parts ....breast, fatty areas, I can't imagine they would go for a thigh bone....too much work....arms first.

I bet this book would let me know. :)

LD
You got the rec because when I clicked on the link it says I can read it with the free kindle app, apparently one of the benefits of being Prime?

Prime is irrelevant. It's free. I originally picked it up as a free book, years ago. I regularly (once a week or so) post lists of (newly) free Kindle books in the SF, Fantasy, and Horror categories on Amazon (many are only free for a few days at a time):

http://ogres-crypt.com/Kindle/index.html

I have over 14,000 books in the Amazon cloud. Almost all of them were free. More than I can read if I lived for several more decades. :)