Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
CDR46:

In a prior thread, you wrote:

TMF - co founded by David Gardner and Tom Gardner - is a multimedia company dedicated to empowering individuals to take control of their financial destinies. Indeed TMF's mission is to educate, amuse, and enrich.

I find insulting and offensive MikeMatheson's continued attacks against BTID; and, that they go unchallenged by the rest of the insurance forum's board members.

MikeMatheson writes:

But again, forget the BTID scheme, it has no merit.

Have you ever stopped to consider that there may be those here who find an undying commitment to BTID to be offensive as well? You need to sit down for a moment and think about what is going on here. Folks post here looking for advice. Often, that question is initially poorly phrased with limited information. Since I joined here in 2000, there has always been someone willing to step right up to the plate in response to almost every one of these posts and offer a standard line that "x" is the answer.

That phenomenon is the true travesty of forums such as this one. There are three problems caused by the fervent individuals that espouse a one-size-fits-all solution: 1) frequently, they know just enough to be dangerous, 2) they act without enough information to make a good recommendation, and 3) they often fail to consider that there is a human with a problem on the other end of the post whose emotional condition is not known to those of us sitting before a computer monitor.

For that reason, you will see two types of responses here from the professionals who volunteer their time. When a question is posed, the professionals on this board will ask a lot of questions in an attempt to find out enough to point the individual in the right direction -- rarely will they propose a final solution, as this forum does not generally permit enough exchange of information to formulate a final solution. In response to posts that offer "the answer," you will often see some pretty acid responses by these same professionals. A nasty fight on line is better than a misinformed consumer persuing a potentially damaging solution to a misunderstood problem.

Mike is a master of the latter, and not bad at the former. In your early days on this board, Mike beat on you without mercy, not because he has anything against you personally, or because he disagrees with your stances, but because he has seen many like you come and go. He has a rather deep concern for those who ask questions here and does not desire to see any of them make a bad decision just because a recent addition to the board happens to be full of piss and vinegar. By the way, don't get me wrong, Mike disagrees with you in many respects. There is nothing wrong with that; I sometimes disagree with Mike, TTR, LIBC, nedludd, and several others. I disagree with many of your viewpoints and will debate with you formally when I feel I can add value to the discussion. Mike's style is to sit back and blast away with a number of inside jokes; I find many of them amusing, given what I know, the subjects of those jokes frequently don't see the humor. Your style is to drown the board in long posts. Heck, you jumped my case for posting results that show where BTID works to the advantage of the investor.

Live and let live my friend. The goal here, as you stated, is to educate, amuse, and enrich. One does all three best with open ears and an open mind. I know Mike well enough to know that he would sell me a term policy if I walked in with a plan that called for one. Would you sell me a VUL if I walked in with a plan that warrants one?

Spend a little more time listening and a little less time posting. I think you'll get something out of it that will improve your ability to provide better input.

Peace,

greygreen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.