Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
cdr46 (mike's best friend from what I read - hee hee!)

I have read much of the things you and Neddludd and MikeMatheson and Intercst and TTRoberts have been saying over the past little while. I don't profess to be the world's foremost authority on these things, but I do know someone with an agenda when I see one. I don't know why your bitter about insurance, but you rant and rave over ridiculous things and provide links that supposedly back up and justify your bitterness. When Neddludd said something about a foil helmet to keep out the things that aliens were trying to beam into his head, I thought that was you to a tee.

My insurance agent is a trusted friend and I examined my choices carefully anyway. I have an overfunded $500,000 VUL policy and a $500,000 ten year term policy. I am also investing in stocks (thru a stockbroker...yipe!) and to a lesser extent mutual funds. I am very happy with my insurance policy, I had the investments in it mostly in the S&P (averaging around 18% return after the dreaded fees) and I recently switched half over to the NASDAQ when it hit 1800. I am also happy with the performance of my stocks and funds recommended by my stockbroker. I just don't have the time nor the inclination to spend all day on the internet and read until my eyes are blurry. We live a nice lifestyle and I'm with Mike when he says that you should invest what you can and buy the right insurance. I see the point about saving on fees when you can, but I am again with Mike when he says that the biggest drain isn't your fees, it's your "non-essential expenses" If I look back on all I have bought that I really didn't need it's frightening to think of how much I could have had by now over and above what I've saved (which is still pretty impressive)
If I cut down on everyday expenses and invested the $200 a month I let slip thru the cracks, I would be loaded by now even if I was paying the biggest management fees around.

Intercst and cdr46 and some others might know their math, but they really are clueless about human nature. They are at the top in two categories though; their glasses have the rosiest color and they have the best hind sight.

Mapcase
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.