Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello

I am looking for a simple cell phone that could be used by my parents (92 and 86 years old - never used a cell phone before). They don't require anything elaborate, they're not going to be connecting to the internet, they're not going to be downloading videos,music, etc.

All they need is a simple cell phone to dial a number and connect with somebody just to talk.

I'm posting this on this chat board because I would expect that some people on this board are familiar with the requirements I'm looking for and may be able to suggest a phone.

I checked on Consumer Reports, but they only cover smartphones with elaborate data plans. Not the type of telephone or service I'm looking for.

I see a phone connected to AARP - from Consumer Cellular. Low price plan ($10/month ) and simple phone($35 one time). The reviews are not that good for this service.

Anyone have any experience with this provider or suggest another one ?

Thank you
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
My Verizon plan allows extra phones for $20 per month. I have my MIL on that plan. Simple flip phone I remember as very low cost. That phone has worked for over 4 years so far. She's been on the plan for over 10 years and is 89. She sometimes takes a picture which is nice.

Repurposed
How many minutes will they use per year?

You can get a year's service and 1000 minutes for about $100 at tracfone. Simple phones start at $9.99.

www.tracfone.com

intercst
I am looking for a simple cell phone that could be used by my parents (92 and 86 years old - never used a cell phone before). They don't require anything elaborate, they're not going to be connecting to the internet, they're not going to be downloading videos,music, etc.

I went to T-Mobile and got the cheapest phone they had. I have used it for years and still like it. No bells, no whistles. And yes, the other kids still laugh at me. I pay $100 for 100 minutes, which lasts more than one year.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 2
A friend of mine has that AARP smart phone and likes it.

I have a Tracphone flip phone that I've had for several years that sits in my purse in case I have a flat tire or an accident while I'm out (never happened - keep your fingers crossed.) The minutes roll over and I've accumulated over 2000 minutes! I charge it maybe once a month if I remember (I'm 78.) The only time I got any use out of it was when Sandy wiped out all electricity here for 8 days - at about day 6 I drove to somewhere where i could recharge it.

Why would your parents need a cell phone? Surely not for regular use. The sound on landline phones is much better than that on any cell phone. The corded phone I bought at Costco has 5 cordless "babies," so between those and the corded extension in the basement, there's a phone in every room. I mostly use the one in the kitchen (that has an answering machine), the one by my recliner in the den, the one by my desk in my office, and the one near my TV. I don't have to walk around like my kids and grandkids with a cellphone permanently in my hand cause I don't always have pockets. Will your parents remember where they put the thing down and have to run for it? Will they remember to charge it?

I happen to have an iPad, and my nearest and dearest all have iPhones, so I am able to text, and I have had occasion to do so, but texting isn't important to me, as I'm almost always right next to a phone, and not always right next to my iPad.

Trini
My MIL has had one of the basic Jitterbug phones for a number of years.
http://www.greatcall.com/
It is also advertised by AARP quite a bit. I don't recall what we initially paid but I think it was about $100. He plan costs about $17 per month and gives her 50 minutes. It is quite easy for senior to use.
I have had a TracPhone for the past 11 or 12 years, possibly longer. I still have the original flip phone I started with. I keep it in the car for emergencies, as I am not a cell phone person (thus no texting either). Unused minutes roll over. I pay a flat rate of about $100 for the entire year, and that includes about 1000 minutes. I currently have around 11,000 or 12,000 unused minutes stockpiled for who knows what reason. My wife is into cell phones and texting, so she has one of those Apple things. She pays about $45 per month for her plan.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I had basic phones with AT&T for over 15 years on a pre-paid plan. I would pay $100 per year. My unused minutes would roll to the next year. I used the phone but not all that much.

Every time we would visit with the grandkids we would lament the fact that we would send the grandkids emails but never heard back. The son suggested if we wanted to communicate with the grandkids we needed to text them. The wife and I now both have IPhones with AT&T. The monthly fee is enough to choke a horse however I now use my phone for everything. Solitaire, calendar, Siri, GPS, reminders, alarm clock, USA Today, Internet, texting. Oh, yea, every once in a while I use it for a phone.

But back to your initial request I think you would be very happy with AT&T's basic prepaid plan and a simple flip phone.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (Retired '03)
Men generally have plenty of pockets to carry their smartphones in. Women, not so much. Unless they're out and about with their purse by their side, where do they carry them? I've often thought that someone could make a lot of money designing some way to incorporate some inconspicuous phone-pocket into womens' fashion. I might even get a smartphone.

Trini
Greetings!

I tried Consumer Cellular,
Their flip phone is a Chinese pos, it needs recharging every 36 hours.
I even bought a second battery thinking the original was defective.
Shortly after that the signal strength icon showed no service. After spending a few hours talking to customer reps,
they told me I needed a new more expensive phone, I fell for it, new phone also showed no signal strength.
I suspect they shut down a cell tower because of low
consumer use in the area. Went with Verizon and got a good rate and a decent phone.

hilcntry
My MIL has had one of the basic Jitterbug phones for a number of years.

When the Jitterbug first came out it had carrier problems, it basically ran on a second tier level of (I think) Sprint. In 2009 they switched over to Verizon, which means there should be good carrier support most everywhere. (Jitterbugs that were sold before that are grandfathered to the old system, since the phone technologies are different.)

I have seen the Jitterbug in my father's assisted living facility (not him, he's too old to use anything, including land lines), but I will say that the Jitterbug seemed to have nice big buttons, a menu that consisted of nothing more than "yes/no" questions, and a button to summon an operator (I don't know if there's an extra charge for that.) It also provided a "dial tone" when you put it to your ear (just like the phones our parents - and us grew up with) so there's likely to be a little less confusion.

I will say that once my Dad started going downhill there were only a few years (like maybe three) between "able to cope" and "not", and as I say, we can no longer talk to him via telephone. Which reminds me, I'm overdue to send him a letter.
Men generally have plenty of pockets to carry their smartphones in. Women, not so much. Unless they're out and about with their purse by their side, where do they carry them? I've often thought that someone could make a lot of money designing some way to incorporate some inconspicuous phone-pocket into womens' fashion. I might even get a smartphone.

Trini. My purse has two pockets for cell phones...one regular, one large. I got the iPhone6s Plus which fits in the large pocket. If I want to carry the phone in a pocket, I have plenty of jackets, vests that will take the phone. I never put it in my back pocket....pants too tight LOL. Many jackets have an inside pocket to put phones. I have to admit that I do not carry the phone with me 24/7. Mostly it sits in my purse or on the counter at home. I also have a land line phone.

Birgit
I always carry a crossbody purse. I used to live in a big city and needed to have my hands free. Most of my purses have a pocket where I can put a phone. Otherwise I just put the phone in the purse. It's never been a problem.
I have a simple flip phone and the Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan/nationwide-65-plus
To each their own, but the Verizon plan is more than 3 times as expensive as TracPhone. I actually made a call on mine two days ago, because our landline went out and I needed to call ATT, so I got my TracPhone from the car. First time I've used it in years, and it was still fully charged.
I use AT&T, prepaid of $100/10 months. I use TEXT only but could use voice @ $0.10 per each call ( received or made), up to 1 minute. 1000 TEXT messages (received or made) per month. The up-front phone hardward cost about $60 2-years ago.

TB
i have verizon and what i did was buy enough stock in the company to pay my 45.00 per month bill...i buy my phone outright and am under no contract.

i have done the same thing to cover many of my other monthly bills...

this all started a long time ago when i bought a new weber genesis gas grill...i bought enough fgp stock so the dividends payed for my lp gas...

still working but working out so far