Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
Zee15!

I`ve heard, that Mobile operators are having problems with people using their cell phones in airplanes. When you use your phone up in the air, roaming from one cell to another is not working the way it is supposed to happen. You don`t necessarily roam from one cell to the one next to it, and network operators just don`t like it. Probably the soft hand-offs etc. don`t work.

I don`t know how big a problem this is actually is, comments appreciated!

This is a very interesting article. As a physicist who has done some EM studies, I have always been skeptical that electonic devices such as CD players, tape players, and cell phones could cause any problems in aircraft systems. After all, airplanes operate in a very rich rf environment (as the article points out). The IEEE Spectrum (the general journal published by the International EE society) had an interesting tehcnical article on this subject. If anyone is interested, I could try to find a link to it or send out a hard copy.

Chuck
As a physicist who has done some EM studies...
What is odd about the ruling is that it comes not from the FAA but from the FCC.

Some time ago I posted links to news articles supporting the FCC's stand (one that said that one passenger discovered that he could turn on and off the airplane's air conditioner); I can't find it just now.

More odd is that I also heard that while a plane was grounded on the airport for repairs, with passengers inside, they were prevented from using their own cellphones to notify their friends that they'd be late.

But then, airlines and their crews are getting more cranky and authoritarian these days. The cycle has reversed from the time when they used to have to take a lot of crap from the travellers. There are few empty seats nowadays.
Maybe the safety issue is that of the health of the cell phone user. I would consider strangling the guy/gal who needed to talk and recieve calls for the duration of a 5 hour flight after sitting through two previous flights, one of which was a red eye. Not to mention suffering hearburn from the bad food. By the time some travelers reach the hubs of American business, they have been sorely abused by the airlines for hours. Why add cell phones to the list of annoyances we experience in over crowded flights?

citizen for tranquil environments :-)

Aloha, Emily
<I`ve heard, that Mobile operators are having problems with people using their cell phones in airplanes. >

From my own experience, everytime I get on a plane the first thing they mention is for everyone to shut off all cell phones and Pagers for it interfers with the planes systems. I am sure someday Boeing and the big phone makers will solve this problem for there is a lot of lost time in productivity when one is flying and that doesn't help anyone. Thus it must be a major priority for both the airlines,Phones Makers and Boeing as well as Airbus.

MYCROFT
I may be in a minority here, BUT.

I am a "power user" mobile devices. But when I get a call, or make a call, I make sure I am as far outside of other people's hearing range as possible. This is for my own privacy AS WELL AS for theirs.

I actually get a lot of unconnected work done on airplanes. And the idea of a multi-hour flight with someone next to me on the phone gabbing away is a little disconcerting.

Does anyone here agree? Mhhh... maybe I'll start a (thoroughly biased sample, statistically irrelevant, just for fun, etc. etc.)

WWPoll.... recommend the next message if you think there are times when you DO NOT WANT to hear people around you on mobile phones.
And recommend the one after if you think that mobile phones are ok anytime, anyplace.

BeenFooled
No. of Recommendations: 1
From my own experience, everytime I get on a plane
the first thing they mention is for everyone to shut
off all cell phones and Pagers for it interfers with
the planes systems. I am sure someday Boeing and the
big phone makers will solve this problem for there is a
lot of lost time in productivity when one is flying and
that doesn't help anyone. Thus it must be a major priority
for both the airlines,Phones Makers and Boeing as well
as Airbus.

Mycroft,

It's my understanding the main problem is that cellular
phones wreak havoc with the ground-based systems,
rather than the aircraft's avionics -- which has a slight,
but unquantifiable risk.

http://www.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1997/int/971103/business.dont_touch_th.html

-Rubic
. . .shut off all cell phones and Pagers for it interferes with the planes systems.

I posted a couple of links several weeks ago to stories that seemed to support that proposition (that they interfere). Then I found out recently that the ruling comes from the FCC, not the FAA. (That may or may not be relevant.) And there was a recent Wall Street Journal article that pointed out that one of the main reasons to ban cell phones is that it cuts into the $6/min revenue the airlines get from using their own on-board phone system.
This is another of those "rough edges" in terms of the wrieless technology fitting in to modern civilization that still need to be ironed out a bit.

rigoletto39 says:

>. . .shut off all cell phones and Pagers for it interferes with the planes systems.

> I posted a couple of links several weeks ago to stories that seemed to support that proposition (that they interfere). Then I found out recently that the ruling comes from the FCC, not the
> FAA. (That may or may not be relevant.) And there was a recent Wall Street Journal article that pointed out that one of the main reasons to ban cell phones is that it cuts into the $6/min
> revenue the airlines get from using their own on-board phone system.
> This is another of those "rough edges" in terms of the wrieless technology fitting in to modern civilization that still need to be ironed out a bit.

The other piece of the puzzle I read (and I am truly sorry I cannot remember *where* I read it - hate to do this to the board!) was that a) if you did use your cellphone over an cell-ful area your call would go through and b) handoffs between cells at the aircraft's speed would be faster than the system's ability to keep track of your call, resulting in many "free" calls - so the cellphone providers didn't like the idea either.

That would back the "loss-of-economy" argument. What seems unbelievable to me is that you'd ever actually be able to make a connection while airborne in the first place. I have tried to make calls from inside airplanes (big'uns, engines off, etc. etc.) and had very poor results until I moved outside the cabin.

BeenFooled
[
The other piece of the puzzle I read (and I am truly sorry I cannot remember *where* I read it - hate to do this to the board!) was that a) if you did use your cellphone over an cell-ful area your call
would go through and b) handoffs between cells at the aircraft's speed would be faster than the system's ability to keep track of your call, resulting in many "free" calls - so the cellphone providers
didn't like the idea either.
]

If the call went through the cellphone would have identified itself to the system and the call could be billed. Altitude and speed would more likely make it impossible for the network to correctly determine the correct cell for handoff. This would result in the cellphone and cell attempting to talk to each other but not being able to and the call would drop.

aethr
<Mycroft,

It's my understanding the main problem is that cellular
phones wreak havoc with the ground-based systems,
rather than the aircraft's avionics -- which has a slight,
but unquantifiable risk.

http://www.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1997/int/971103/business.dont_touch_th.html

-Rubic>

Thanks Rubic, I learned alot from that article!!!!

MYCROFT