Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I was doing some research and thought the board might be interested:

Let me start with a quote from an article from the Houston Chronicle from 1995:

Yurek bragged. "By the year 2000, we hope to see the first cables going into the ground."
Detroit is scheduled for installation this FALL. Yurek said this 5 years ago.

CEO AMSC: Gregory J. Yurek, Ph.D.
Taken form AMSC's website(www.amsuper.com):

Founded American Superconductor in April 1987 with three fellow MIT professors.

Immediately before signing on with American Superconductor as Chief Technical Officer in August 1988, Dr. Yurek served as a consultant to the firm with responsibilities for overseeing the transfer of technology from MIT, for establishing the company's research and development programs, and for creating strategic alliances. From 1976 to 1988, Dr. Yurek was co-director of the H.H. Uhlig Corrosion Laboratory at MIT where he was Professor of Materials Science and Engineering. His work there on the development of corrosion-resistant alloys led to the invention of technology now used in manufacturing HTS wires.

He has more than 50 scientific and technical publications to his credit, along with eight U.S. patents issued in his name.

His credits include:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
McFarland Award for achievement in metallurgy at Penn State
Ph.D. in metallurgical engineering from Ohio State University
Member: Industrial Overview Committee for the Department of Energy's Superconductivity Pilot Centers.

From DJI:
[Yurek] told Dow Jones Newswires he thinks the products will "revolutionize" the way electrical power is delivered, much as fiber-optics are changing telecommunications (vision and belief in his product)

The board of directors includes former NASA astronaut Frank Borman, former U.S. Navy Vice Admiral Albert Baciocco Jr. (I am a Naval Officer so I like these guys…)

"We are a manufacturing company and not a research company," he said. "Today, we make about 150 miles (of superconducting cable) a year in this facility and by next year it will be about 300 miles, and we expect 1,000 (miles a year) within two or three years."

He got Congress' attention:
http://www.amsuper.com/press/testimony.html

United States House of Representatives
Committee on Commerce
Subcommittee on Energy and Power

Testimony of
Gregory J. Yurek, President and CEO
American Superconductor Corporation
April 22, 1999

Hope you find this useful, I did.

dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.