Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The oldest is once again playing ball for his high school.

Three years ago, during Freshman year, a boy he'd played ball with for years didn't make the cut* and All The Remaining Boys Were Shook.

Positively shell shocked, were all the boys that had played tournament ball together.

Sophomore year, all the remaining made it. Even got to bunk together during the Spring Break trip. Disaster averted.

This year, one boy was told before tryouts to not bother unless he'd made vast improvements (he didn't bother), and one is hurt badly enough he'll be a manager instead of a player for entire season.

The Remaining Boys Are Shook.

Hell I'm Shook.

Most of these boys have put in 12 to 13 years like Q has on baseball, so it's !!!!!!!

They are still traveling to a tournament Many States Away for Spring Break**, because they feel like with the way the team basically is together 24/7 already and would be for the trip, risk of new Beer Flu exposure is reduced (and they'd get it from each other, anyway, because of the already close quarters with practice).

Junior year. Time flies.

impolite

* The high school is big enough it fields 5 teams (Varsity, JV, Sophomore, and two freshman teams), and is always a State contender. So a LOT of boys tryout. Statistically at least one wouldn't make it.

** So no saving that money this year. I'm $1k in between uniforms and trip fees already....
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
They are still traveling to a tournament Many States Away for Spring Break**, because they feel like with the way the team basically is together 24/7 already and would be for the trip, risk of new Beer Flu exposure is reduced (and they'd get it from each other, anyway, because of the already close quarters with practice).

And none of them will have any contact with anyone who is in a high risk group ?
No. of Recommendations: 0
And none of them will have any contact with anyone who is in a high risk group ?

That is the prevailing theory - or at least no *new* contact with someone in a high risk group.

They are teenage boys so there is the built in Gross Factor.

But hopefully since all their equipment is already in use and they will all be with each other all the time anyway, the exposure is limited to the same *type* of exposure they would get in town at tournaments/restaurants, etc. while traveling.

They also have a plan in place for cleaning the surfaces of the bus, where they will be staying, and for literally standing at public bathroom doors visibly watching them washing their hands. Because a herd of teenage boys are just gross (bears repeating).

The school district has also been communicating about their plans for possible exposure/actual confirmed cases, and so far the sports directors feel there is no greater risk from travel ball than local ball (since there have been confirmed cases less than an hour away from the school, and any "local ball" would be with teams that traveled into here).

Parental vote had them all going. I voted No, but I'm not a solid enough No not to send him with his ball team if they are going. A couple parents were solid Nos, so some very, very lucky Freshman are taking their places (usually Freshman don't travel).

I'm crossing my fingers and will just wash my own hands extra to try to control the anxiety.

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 1
Well things are getting interesting!

The city we live in has started shutting down large gatherings, and our school district has a distance learning protocol ready to deploy if they want kids to stay home after Spring break.

We won't know about the trip until this weekend, I assume at this point it will be cancelled.

Which would be fine. I can think of plenty of other things to do with the money.

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 6
Officially cancelled.

All monies raised during fund raising will first go towards their uniforms (so I'll get 100% reimbursed for those YAY), and then to the program.

I also find myself flush with the cash I needed to pay for the trip.

Win-win!

impolite