Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Chad and Squirl8,

As far as adding more content to the WW, I'm not sure that will succeed. If you can surf the web on your phone, you have access to all the web's content. It's not the web's content that is causing the failure of the WW, but the medium. Surfing the web over the phone just doesn't work.

As far as price goes, until a killer app appears, any pricing is going to be always overpriced. It's a difficult position to be in, if you are a carrier pushing the web-enabled phones - you need to recover your costs, and therefore charge accordingly, but you also need a large enough user-base for the killer app to appear. The large user-base will only come when prices are super-low or free and therefore I feel the WW's killer app will come from the network effect or 'law of increasing returns'.

$500 is still a lot in my book. Compare what you get on the phone to a computer - Gateway recently has offered a complete P4 1.3 Ghz system for $999 (with monitor). It's a big ticket purchase.

As far as convergence - I'm beginning to think more and more that it's all hype. Once this killer app appears (if it ever appears), the device will be used 90% of the time for that one killer app. The wireless industry will redesign itself around the killer app, just like the web designed itself around email and sending information.

Look at for example - the killer app that drove the adoption of the WWW - email. I think if you survey web users out there, I think you would find about 90% of web users use the WWW primarily for email. Secondary purposes would be searching (Google anyone?) and/or buying stuff from Amazon or Half.com. Not much else has really caught the majority of web-user's attention.

As far as using the device as a ID thingy - again it could work. It sounds a lot like what Bluetooth has been promising. Of course, 2001 was supposed to be the Year of Bluetooth. Instead, it failed, and rather spectactulary (sp?) too. Now, of course, in the future it could very well succeed - it still has very powerful backers.

Was this the article you were talking bout? CNET is pretty good at covering tech news.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5211145.html

I feel that the killer app for wireless is probably something no-one has even come up with yet or expects it to be a killer app. Trying to predict what the killer app is impossible I feel - although we can make good guesses ;).

As far as Infospace is concerned - if they can position themselves as a transaction fee collector for any business conducted through a handheld wireless device, they will be very successful. I don't think they have quite accomplished that yet though - because they need to collect transaction fees on the killer app to be REALLY successful.

Steve
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.