Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Before you go off and do it yourself, bear this in mind.

I was doing my own taxes and have been audited twice. Both times when I was starting businesses. I now go to an MBA who specializes in taxes (his wife is a CPA). When I showed him the results of my last audit he said
"They saw you coming" and that he could have challenged them as he has had experience doing that. I believe that I did my own taxes correctly, but an over zealous agent managed to extract close to $4,000 extra from me that year. If I had used my tax guy he would have gone to bat for me and gotten my money back.
I very unfoolishly just paid what the IRS told me I now owed. Like a lamb to the slaughter!

This guy costs me about $250 ($90/hr). It is quick and easy and I don't mind paying.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.