Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We have a parquet floor, and a dining room set with chairs that have those little plastic sliders tacked to the bottom of each leg. Except when they slide around they mar the floor (with sometimes permanent but minor gouges.) So I have added those thick felt pads on the bottom of each leg, laboriously cleaning each plastic pad with alcohol then attaching the pad with the sticky thing that comes with.

And they last about two weeks and fall off with use. (There are 8 chairs and only two of us, so obviously the other six don’t.) Anyone have a suggestion as to how to make them stick better? Or a different product entirely?

(I’m using the thick felt pads because when we got new floors at the old house the flooring company went around and put them on every chair and table leg before they put the furniture back. And it wasn’t because we chose soft wood, we got the hardest we could find because of the dog and cats.)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't have the type where you apply a felt pad to a plastic pad. My felt pads are applied directly to the wooden legs of the chairs. They stick pretty well and I get months of use out of them. They usually wear out instead of falling off the chair leg.

For your type, the only suggestion I have is to use sandpaper to rough up the plastic pad surface with the hope that provides a better surface for the adhesive on the felt pad to stick to.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 4
For your type, the only suggestion I have is to use sandpaper to rough up the plastic pad surface with the hope that provides a better surface for the adhesive on the felt pad to stick to.

Or perhaps pull off the plastic pad, which is probably held in place with a single tack/nail, so that the felt can be applied to the wood. It might take some prying, or perhaps a good pair of vise-grips.
Or perhaps pull off the plastic pad, which is probably held in place with a single tack/nail, so that the felt can be applied to the wood. It might take some prying, or perhaps a good pair of vise-grips.

That would be fine if the wood feet are flat to the floor. For a previous set of chairs for my kitchen table, the feet were not flat to the floor. I had a choice of installing a pad for angled feet or cut the legs so they lie flat.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-1-in-Nail-On-Felt-Swive...
Furniture manufacturers usually put someone on the legs. Those that are plastic work reasonably well on carpets. As you have discovered the felt adhesives don't stick well to those plastics. In my experience these "feet" usually are attached by a nail driven into the bottom of the leg.

I have found the felts do a decent job is applied to a clean roughed up surface. When applying the felts, I use rubbing alcohol to remove old adhesive and other crud. Next a rough up the surface with about 60 grit sand paper and only apply the felt pads.
Don't you just Hate Autocorrect?

Furniture manufacturers usually put someone on the legs.

nag
:-)
I'm not sure what your plastic sliders are like. But I have wooden chairs and when I bought them the company sold me some small felt sliders that have a cylindrical nail (hollow nail?). You pound them in and they last for many years. I've replaced the whole set once in ~20 years and had to replace 2 or 3 an extra time.

Mike
I've replaced the whole set once in ~20 years and had to replace 2 or 3 an extra time.

Where did you get the replacements?

George
Where did you get the replacements?

https://tinyurl.com/ybnlyy9e
Here are the alternate hollow tube variety:

https://www.amazon.com/Nail-Heavy-Furniture-Floor-Surfaces/d...
You could try chair socks.
https://smile.amazon.com/MERYSAN-Elastic-Knitted-Furniture-P...

If you are a crafty type person, you could even make your own.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chair-socks
although I would probably make them larger and felt them.

Leana
(I’m using the thick felt pads because when we got new floors at the old house the flooring company went around and put them on every chair and table leg before they put the furniture back. And it wasn’t because we chose soft wood, we got the hardest we could find because of the dog and cats.)

I do use felt pads, stick-ons on most of the furniture, after we went all oak flooring, way back. The problem was those filing chairs, they don't work, fell off, so I went ahead, fixed it! O popped in a 3/4" or 7/8" hole saw in my drill press. Bought a big bag of day glow green tennis balls, and proceeded to put them on all the folding chairs! After the initial shock, the family adjusted, and they just work fine... Stand out a little, but also a reminder to mind the floors!

Now I saw that link to Chair socks, I might relent, but then what will I do with all those holy tennis balls? Hmmm...

weco
No. of Recommendations: 2
How about a nice dining room rug? Then the plastic sliders will be happy--and maybe you will, too.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Omg! Thanks for the laugh wecoguy...those chair socks are hilarious! I might buy them....I’ve been a user of felt stick on’s for my kitchen chairs...they are so-so...they gather cat hair and they do wear down and when I didn’t replace them fast enough, I left marks on kitchen floor...DuraCeramic.

I don’t expect these chair socks to be perfect either, but at least they are fun to look at. :)

Lucky Dog
Ha ha, I'm getting myself some of those chair socks with cat feet! Those are awesome!

Sue1anne