Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have been a consultant (independent worker) and do have a Solo 401K trust account.

However, this year I have become a "permanent employee". I was an independent consultant for the first 6 months of 2008 and later converted to full time.

Can I still fund my 401K Solo Account (I believe max contribution is $15,500 for 2008) being a permanent employee?

Or do I have to close my Solo 401K and roll it up to my employer's 401K?

Or can i contribute first 6 months to my Solo 401K as independant worker
"and" contribute to my employer 401K to the max ($15,500)

Any insight would be much appreciated!

FYI, I might move back to "independent contractor" later in 2009!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.