Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Need help how to report change in vehicle used in residential rental property using the Standard Mileage Rate - Schedule E.

My basic problem is reporting for a car placed in service four years after purchase. All the instructions and examples I can find only address new cars placed in service.

Question... Is there a way to adjust the car deemed depreciation to much later in service date?

The vehicles involved...

The 'old' car...bought new 10/26/2007 $30,000, placed in service four years later on 10/01/2011 and trade-in value $3,000 on 05/25/2019.
Calculating Deemed Depreciation (Pub 463) under the Standard Mileage Rate for 2011-2019, I get $909 for the 3,996 business miles. Year 2019 depreciation deduction is the full year amount multiplied by 37.5% for the month(June) car disposed. Average annual business mileage for the 8 years is ~500 and percent usage average is 4.79%.

Replacement car bought new 06/26/2019 $30,000: Placed in service 06/26/2019.
Calculating Deemed Depreciation under the Standard Mileage Rate for 2019, I get $56 for the 252 business miles. I calculated 2019 as a whole year

Some guidance please.

George
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.