Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think it’s possible there may be some lingering changes after this virus crisis is over.

But do you think YOU will change anything in your life after this is over? I’m thinking about retirement—I’m wondering if I really want to retire early after all. And I’m thinking about whether I want to stay in the city or move into the country. And definitely working on my fitness more. And cooking more rather than eating out as much.

Just curious if this virus thing had anyone else thinking about future plans/changes you want to make.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I would prefer to not make any changes to my lifestyle, but I fear the government will require me to. BUT, I am one of the people who think we have over-reacted to this situation in lieu of advising people at risk to protect themselves.

In Oregon, the latest state campaign is "Do you Want to Kill someone?" to encourage stay-at-home and social distancing. I fear that, in the future, we could be arrested for inadvertently exposing someone to a virus of unknown mortality. I also fear the government will adopt these draconian measures every year when the cold/flu season hits. Could I really be arrested for murder if I unknowingly pass a virus to someone and they die??

To your questions about retiring and where to live - these are easy answers in my mind. Continue to be active and engaged with society regardless of compensation. If you can afford to retire financially, forget the paycheck. Live where you can reach good healthcare. You don't have to live in a big city to get good healthcare. If possible, be close to family, but good healthcare is more important.

When possible, I plan to eat out/takeout more to support those individuals who rely on tips to survive. Simply, I plan to pay it forward, so others can thrive. BTW - we have no kids which makes all of these decisions simpler than many individuals.

Good Luck!
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been in the habit of meeting with different groups of friends two or three times a week. As a result of the places the different groups get together being closed, I'm saving a minimum of $50 to $60 a week. I think I will limit my outings to once a week with a different group of friends each week once we can get out again.
No. of Recommendations: 9
I'm hoping my employer allows me to wear PJs to the office. I'm getting used to the new dress code.

PSU
During stay at home, I'm doing more by telephone. A great way to keep in touch with people who are also staying at home.

I wonder how long it will be before people book another cruise. Or travel by air.

I can see lots of interest in travelling by personal vehicle and maybe within a few hundred miles from home.

As to retirement planning, we become more aware of the importance of having good medical facilities nearby. And if you are considering a retirement community, how do they rate in health emergencies.

And we certainly hope authorities learn to put more resources into emergency planning and key materials inventory. Also faster response and more urgency. Easy suspension of govt regulations when it matters.
No. of Recommendations: 2
And cooking more rather than eating out as much.

The Shelter in Place made that decision for us. I have been doing recreational cooking and my husband has been doing recreational eating.
No. of Recommendations: 6
The simple answer is "Nope - we're not really planning to change much." We live out in the country and don't see much affected by this scourge, except when we need to go into town to buy things. And this will pass, we hope.

Overly long reply, maybe:

Many years ago, we enjoyed family life and both worked, like many people, in a smallish city in southern New England. Our family vacations usually were camping trips because they were a lot cheaper (in a tent we had bought 40+ years ago or, later on, in leanto's) in state parks, and we had always enjoyed less crowded, peaceful settings. As the kids grew up, went off to college, and eventually married and set off with their own families, we realized that we still preferred the quiet life, and set about planning to some day retire to northern New England.

We thought abut retirement and tried both coastal Maine and the hills of Vermont, and found that, for some reason, the seacoast seemed to give us headaches after a few days! So we focused on Vermont, and here we are.

My advice is to TRY some living situations, if you can. You may think you like city life or maybe country life, but you may find one or the other simply doesn't really appeal. Too little to do, maybe, or too many people on the other end. Whatever. Try to spend a chunk of time in places you THINK you might like.

We eventually bought this place, on several wooded acres, high on a ridge, outside a small town, and we totally still love it, even after retiring here 20 years ago. We have the peace and quiet (and privacy) we always enjoyed, but we are only about 12 miles from a small city, with a good hospital and various medical facilities, and various stores. I have to admit that the restaurant selection has dwindled, which is disappointing, as have shopping opportunities, but we still love the area.

Frankly, we worry now about what the cities are going to be like as this virus continues. Stores up here still suffer from lack of some goods, and I suspect the cities must be worse, largely due to fear and panic among the people who hoard to a weird degree! But it will improve, eventually.

Too long an answer, I guess. Bottom line: My advice again is to TRY some types of living first, and then decide. We're all different, and you need to do what suits YOU.

Good luck.

Vermonter
I was traveling quite a bit and the only thing I have noticed is that I do miss being places near water. I live in one of the sunniest places in the country and there are 4 seasons. I already had plans to sell and become a nomad in two years - that has been postponed until the real estate market settles. I expect to revisit a few places and I usually go for a month at a time. At least one place would allow 3 months and that may well be a change in my travel patterns.

My father and sister died when I was in my twenties; my mother and husband died when I was in my 50s so this isn't that big of a wake up call for me.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Makes me want to call out stupidity when I see it even more.

For example: If you think the phrase "African Elephant" means we are racists who are blaming Africans for the existence of an animal, well, you are stupid, as follows:

1. That's not how our language works. You're inferring something between the lines that doesn't exist. That Elephant comes from Africa, and so we call it the African Elephant. Period. That's all.

2. Even if it DID mean we were blaming them for it, BLAMING is not in the definition of the word racism. Racism is thinking a race is inferior. I'm perfectly capable of blaming somebody for something without thinking he is an inferior person, and this applies to groups as well.

3. If it were racism just to call out a thing based on its geographical origin, then everyone who called out Russian Tampering or Russian Interference with regards to the last election is racist. Heck, everyone who calls US citizens "Americans" is racist. It's just a nonsensical claim.

So you're stupid. And if you whip up arguments to any of the above points, you're purposely doubling down on stupid.

Hope everyone is well,
xtn
No. of Recommendations: 4
Did you get lost, xtn? Reply doesn't match OP.

PSU
Reply doesn't match OP.

Sure it does. OP asked if we would change anything. I'm going to call out stupidity more. Don't worry, you're pretty dang smart.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm going to call out stupidity more.

I thought your gauge was already on redline. How could you do it more?

PSU
If you think the phrase "African Elephant" means we are racists who are blaming Africans for the existence of an animal, well, you are stupid

One should take notice when a very small Homogeneous subset of people are up in arms about the nomenclature of pachyderms - especially if their only encounter with one was channel surfing Animal Planet.

In a totally unrelated story a very small homogeneous subset of people referred to a recent pandemic as the “Kung flu”. It bothered me for awhile until I realized that I was probably inferring something between the lines that probably didn’t exist.

Doubling down when the card count is in your favor is just good strategy.

—-cliff
I thought your gauge was already on redline. How could you do it more?

The supply gets bigger, I work harder.

xtn
Doubling down when the card count is in your favor is just good strategy.

If by "card count is in your favor" you mean that a majority of people are being stupid along with you, and you believe that being in the majority is worth more than being reasonable, then sure, that strategy will get you right where you want to be.

xtn
I wonder how long it will be before people book another cruise. Or travel by air.

We have a cruise booked for March 2021. If this isn't over by then losing the price of the cruise will be the least of our problems.
vkg:

Really? Interesting.

Our son and his wife once invited us to join them on one, and even offered to pay for it, but we politely declined. Neither of us feels comfortable about the idea of being cooped up on a boat with a zillion other people.

I know, I know, many people enjoy such things. We just don't.

I hope life permits you to go!

Vermonter
I was perusing a travel website offering exotic "dream" destinations, and wondering how this will affect travel to these places.

Right now, we are unable to go, unless we get out our own personal outrigger canoe. And we gotta evade the authorities along the way, too.

When things 'relax', how long till travel to exotic places resumes some normal-ness?

I was in Thailand 6 months after the tsunami. NO crowds, lots of cheap deals. Everything was cleaned up, new, painted, etc.
But that didn't include a fearful disease.

Several folks extolled traveling/cruises during 2010-2012.
But again, taking advantage of those opportunities did not include fear of disease.

😷
ralph
"Just curious if this virus thing had anyone else thinking about future plans/changes you want to make. "

******************************************************************************************

I am considering whether to increase my walks from about 1.5 miles to 2 or 3 miles.

Howie52
DW has asked if I can go farther away more often since we have been staying at home more.
We'll likely never go on a cruise again. I can't risk being caught stranded at sea for weeks because someone on the boat caught the virus.
We should have been cruising in two weeks time but we've cancelled of course, and have cancelled our August cruise as well....
But there is still one future rail trip across Canada that has not yet been cancelled....

My husband ( who is still working, so has to plan trips a long time ahead) feels that we should travel while we still can. He has removed travel from our "long-term-budget" plans when we are 82 or 83 I think... not so long from now.
We have a cruise booked for March 2021. If this isn't over by then losing the price of the cruise will be the least of our problems.

We have an Alaska cruise booked and paid for for June 1, 2020 but since it starts & ends in Vancouver, Canada we know it's going to be canceled because the Canadian cruise ports are closed until July 1st.

We haven't received the cancellation from the cruise line yet, but the cruise lines are dealing with a lot of cancelations and we know they will get to us. What they are offering others sounds interesting. If we defer our refund we will receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid plus an onboard credit of $250 USD/per person, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2021. I know we will eventually cruise again but I think for now we're just going to take our money.

Utahtea
Maybe a tad bit embarrassing to admit that Covid-19 has not only, not changed any of my future plans, but has not even impacted my day to day behavior that much. The only thing that I have had to adjust t0 is accounting for the kids being at home all day - took us about two weeks but we've finally got that all streamlined so we are back in our adult routines as well. Says something about my pre-Covid-19 lifestyle I guess.
But do you think YOU will change anything in your life after this is over?

Really depends on how bad this gets. If this causes a global depression with a cascade of bankruptcies, all bets are off. We might have to move in with the in-laws:-)

If this is a temporary (6-12 month) recession until a vaccine arrives, then I hope to travel less.

I was already leaning in that direction after 20 years of business travel. I have really enjoyed being on the road, but it has been enough. It has prevented me from doing things like joining a bowling league, starting a rock band, or taking language lessons--my schedule is so erratic I can never commit to being anywhere on a specific date.

So, I am taking the confinement to do more online meetings, hoping I can turn it into the new normal. The company can also save a ton of money if this works.

Financially, we are relatively secure, but this is a loud and clear warning shot over the bow that there are events which can really damage the best laid plans. So, assuming we get to the other side intact, we are going to accelerate the plans to pay off the mortgage ASAP.
Neither of us feels comfortable about the idea of being cooped up on a boat with a zillion other people.

I know, I know, many people enjoy such things. We just don't.

I hope life permits you to go!

Vermonter

There are basically three reasons/type of cruises we take:
1.) Family trips - The grandkids really like to cruise. No housekeeping, entertainment provided, and food always available makes it a stress free vacation for the grandkids parents. We have taken the grandkids with their parents to Hawaii, Alaska, and on The Oasis of the Seas.

2.) Theme Cruises - We have taken the Star Trek cruises. It is for the onboard activities. We really have no further interest in the Caribbean.

3.) Destination "Expedition" Cruises - Small ships around a hundred or less passengers.

My husband didn't want to spend two weeks going coast to coast to go through the Panama Canal. I didn't feel like trying to competing with 2,000+ people on board to see the locks. The Nat Geo Quest was a compromise and turned out very well. We flew into Panama and returned from Costa Rica. It was the ships first year and the ship had a few issues to work out. An evening without air conditioning in Costa Rica was uncomfortable but far from serious. The other issue of being very seasick one night was my fault for being over confident and under medicated.

I still want to go to the Galapagos and Antarctica before knee surgery. Cruising gives the best access and for Antarctica realistically the only option. My goal this summer was to learn to swim and conquer my fear of water. It doesn't look like that will be an option. Swimming pools and community swim centers are closed. By the time I am able to obtain lessons, it may be too late to go before surgery which has at least a 6 month recovery.
1. That's not how our language works. You're inferring something between the lines that doesn't exist. That Elephant comes from Africa, and so we call it the African Elephant. Period. That's all.

I thought we call it an African Elephant to distinguish it from an Asian Elephant.

There are many differences between Asian and African elephants. Both types of elephant are members of the same taxonomical family, elephantidae, but are of a different genus; elephas maximus (Asian elephants, Loxodonta africana (African savanna elephants) and Loxodonta cyclotis (African Forest Elephant).

The African elephant is significantly larger, with bulls growing up to 4m tall. The biggest Asian males reach no more than 3.5m

More at the link: http://www.eleaid.com/elephant-information/differences-afric...