Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi. Haven't posted here for a while, but I need some input.

My living situation may or may not be changing shortly, but my decision will be heavily weighted on the welfare and well-being of my cats.

I will be moving from a live-alone situation to a roommate situation. Two couples (me and SO being one of the couples) and a dog. Three bedroom house.

One of the bedrooms can and will be dedicated solely to the cats. They're 3 years old and indoor. I don't want them to be outdoor cats, but I'm open to input. They'd lose a street fight and I'd be worried sick. SO has cat allergies but will take medicine and adjust if need be. If they're not confined to the one room, they will likely get outside because the back door is left open for the dog.

I guess my questions are:

Can two cats live happily in one room, if it's designed to be kitty-heaven (cats trees, window sitting sills, toys galore, manufactured hiding spots and frequent visits from mommy)?

If not, how would you recommend handling the above scenario?

Moving would save me a tremendous amount of money, and SO and I are talking marriage, so it would be a good first step transition for living together. We could also save for a house. If it doesn't work out, I could always move, but I very much like my current apartment and wouldn't want to give it up unless there was a chance this could work.

If all input says they won't be happy, I won't do it. I'll be calling my vet as well. I think they'd adjust to the dog and the dog would adjust to them. He's very sweet. They were around dogs when they were itty-bitty babies in the shelter, but haven't been around them since.

As more background, I've been commuting from this place to my own place, trying to split my time, and haven't been able to see the cats as much. I think I'd see them more this way.

Admittedly, my fingers are crossed that this could work somehow, but it's most important to me that my cats be happy for their run on this planet.

Thanks in advance.....
Poppy

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.