Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In April, 1997 I put 2000 into deductible IRA for 1996. At the time I was in the 15% tax bracket. Today, I am in 31% bracket and thinking about converting that old IRA to Roth. Can I amend my old return to make that contribution nondeductible, pay additional taxes with interest and penalties and then convert it to Roth? If so what are penalties and interest I will have to pay and what IRS publication describes the calculations and form I'll have to file?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.