Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I made a Roth IRA contribution at the start of the year for $2000. However, because I am doing well at work I'm going to make more this year than I expected. I think I may go above $95K (I'm single) even with contributing $10,000 to my 401K. So...

I know I will have to change this contribution to a normal IRA contribution. But, I read I will also have to move the earnings to the regular IRA.

1. How do I calculate the amt of earnings to tranfer?
2. Is it based on the transfer date?
3. What about if I have losses since I added the Roth contribution?

I want to try to plan ahead to reduce the chance of any penalties.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.