Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Chapman208 writes (in part):

I'm not sure to what you are referring, though. Are you saying that other books/stories dealt with finding iron oxide ore on an asteroid and refining it to extract oxygen to save the crew's life?

I reeply:

I was referring to this, from an earlier post in the thread:

The book delves into the mechanics of space-folding spaceflight (at least as it pertains to the starflight engine I hypothesized), mining/refining in space, nanobots as both minute mechanics and as medical techniques, and the mechanics of the transportation portals, for example. The story goes into the process by which a person might become invisible, and the physical results (how would someone whose eyeballs become transparent be able to see? Wouldn't their inorganic teeth fillings and freshly-eaten food stay visible? What about their hair and nails, which couldn't have absorbed the potion yet?). The three other shorts are lighter, even mildly humorous, but I try not to limit myself to only one style or genre. (So far I have an alien invasion, a 14-year-old time traveler, an invisible man, and a sci-fi author who meets aliens in his house, among my stories.)

The other main point that jumps out at me from your descriptions is that the stories seem to be about the science. In my view (and I believe some disagree with me about this), good fiction, including good science fiction, should be about people. I would much rather read about how your protagonists react to their problem, with the nuts and bolts of their solution as mere context to their reaction, than read about the solution itself, no matter how "gee whiz" it might be.

Think Sundiver or Startide Rising. Brin's technology was more than enough to evoke my sense of wonder, but it was, and remained, background. The books were moving because I cared about the people (and dolphins, and chimpanzees, and aliens). --Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.