Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
One of the great things about being a dd'er is that you start to think different(ly) about everything, and particularly about dived stuff.

For instance, after attending a townwide garage sale, I spotted a grill at the side of the road. It hadn't sold it seems and the owner was putting it out in the trash. I knock, ask if this is the case and if I can have it and he says yes.

I was excited because this was a serious upgrade to my existing grill, complete with a side burner and larger side decks. I get it home, clean it up over the next two days, transfer my gas canister, and try to fire it up.

Problem. The holes on the gas grill have rusted through and are too large, thus causing the awful stench of unburned and half burned propane to waft through my house and yard.

I had a few options. Toss it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Two, contact Char-broil about purchasing replacement parts (their web site is surprisingly well set up, with data on grills going back to 2000, at least) Or, or....

This is where think different(ly) comes in. The grill aint that old. I wonder if anything is under warranty? Hmm, maybe I should ask. "Um, yes, Char-Broil, can I get a replacement burner?" "Really?!?!?! Wait, there must be a catch. Oh, not unless I count the six dollar shipping fee a catch, huh? Fine with me."

So, $200 plus dollar grill for only $6.

And just think, if you had paid the ten bucks at the garage sale, you still would have only paid $16 for a $200 grill.

And if you had purchased that used grill for $10 and it was OUT of warranty, the new burner would have only run you about $60, shipping included. Even $70 for a $200 grill ain't shabby.

Ahh, the DD way. I ain't never goin' back.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.