Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, can't find any answers for this one. Any help?

I have taken the standard deduction in all previous tax years. This year is the first year I can itemize, thanks to a house, etc. I have significant charitable contributions from the previous years while I was taking a standard deduction, none of which could be used/counted against taxes due (since the standard deduction was taken). Can I file these contribution amounts on the "Contributions Carryover from previous years" line on Sched A? If so, what portion of the standard deduction must be subtracted (a percentage that counts as charitable contributions)? Thanks in advance for your help.


(benefiting greatly from charitable carryovers since he converted a heavy traditional to a roth this year)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.