Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all

In 1999, I contributed to United Way through payroll deduction. There is no notation of it on my W-2, but it is detailed on my last pay stub for 1999.

Because the total was more than $250 for the year (but much less per pay period), I am still trying to figure out what I need to provide for documentation.

I did find this much: "For contributions made by payroll deduction, substantiation must be a combination of (1) a pay stub, W-2, or other employer statement showing the amount withheld for contribution to a donee organization, [That I've got!] AND (2) a pledge card stating that the organization does not provide goods or services for any contributions made by payroll deduction [Get something from HR for that?]. You need this documentation if each separate payroll deduction is $250 or more.

So, reading this, it appears that I don't have to provide anything except a notation that it was via payroll deduction when I enter it on my taxes.

I really want to make sure that I am understanding this right, I have no desire to have any letters from the IRS showing up in my mailbox!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.